Is there a finasteride shedding period even if you've been on minoxidil?

DaMoce9

Hi everyone,

I've been on minoxidil for about 5 months, so I'm past the shedding phase there. I'm planning to start combining with finasteride very soon; is there another shedding period that would occur, or would the fact that I went through the minoxidil shed already prevent that?

Hoping for the combination of the two will give me some improvement on my hairline and buy me 5-10 years before opting for a transplant. I'm only a Norwood 1 for now, so would rather try meds first.

yes you can experience shedding again, it will depend on your hair (which phase they are in hair growth cycle). Below is explanation of shedding:

1)Minoxidil changes your anagen phase by making it lengthier and it makes telogen phase shorter. So if hair were already in telogen phase for you then they will quickly go to the shedding phase. And new hair will grow soon.

2)Finasteride will remove hair in catogen phase and telogen phase and you get back those hair in anagen phase again soon.

3)Due to the 5 month gap there is possibility you have got now some more hair in catagen and telogen phase which finasteride will shed. and also there is chance that minoxidil did not work  so no shedding was seen in some areas in which fin helps you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, duckling said:

yes you can experience shedding again, it will depend on your hair (which phase they are in hair growth cycle). Below is explanation of shedding:

1)Minoxidil changes your anagen phase by making it lengthier and it makes telogen phase shorter. So if hair were already in telogen phase for you then they will quickly go to the shedding phase. And new hair will grow soon.

2)Finasteride will remove hair in catogen phase and telogen phase and you get back those hair in anagen phase again soon.

3)Due to the 5 month gap there is possibility you have got now some more hair in catagen and telogen phase which finasteride will shed. and also there is chance that minoxidil did not work  so no shedding was seen in some areas in which fin helps you.

Appreciate the info, thanks a lot!