Statistics regarding a second hair transplant

I would say unless they were:  lower grade to begin with, have weak donor,  got big mega session in first op with pittella or zarev, financial issues after first surgery , got butchered by a hairmill then atleast 90-95 percent people i have seen here go for second procedure atleast in 10 years after first procedure.

there are cases here where after first op which failed and they didn't want second HT for a long time as FUE wasn't as advanced then so it was more than a 10 year gap or they didnt take route of HT again and some just did SMP.

a top-up or adding finishing touch to first procedure is mostly done by everyone here in that 10 year time frame with nw 4+ hairloss. lower norwood if they take meds consistently can delay it more unless they want something close to natural density back they dont come for second op early. If they go off meds and hair loss progresses then surely they will also come for second op faster.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, duckling said:

I would say unless they were:  lower grade to begin with, have weak donor,  got big mega session in first op with pittella or zarev, financial issues after first surgery , got butchered by a hairmill then atleast 90-95 percent people i have seen here go for second procedure atleast in 10 years after first procedure.

there are cases here where after first op which failed and they didn't want second HT for a long time as FUE wasn't as advanced then so it was more than a 10 year gap or they didnt take route of HT again and some just did SMP.

a top-up or adding finishing touch to first procedure is mostly done by everyone here in that 10 year time frame with nw 4+ hairloss. lower norwood if they take meds consistently can delay it more unless they want something close to natural density back they dont come for second op early. If they go off meds and hair loss progresses then surely they will also come for second op faster.

I am also thinking if in most cases in which a second intervention is required if it wouldn't be worth adding more aggressive forms of medication to improve the areas which weren't intervened in the first time instead of going off for a second the year after. Perhaps 2 to 3 years would be a good timeframe to measure effectiveness post first surgery. 

You never know how much area X could improve especially if you got hairs in there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I am also thinking if in most cases in which a second intervention is required if it wouldn't be worth adding more aggressive forms of medication to improve the areas which weren't intervened in the first time instead of going off for a second the year after. Perhaps 2 to 3 years would be a good timeframe to measure effectiveness post first surgery. 

You never know how much area X could improve especially if you got hairs in there. 

true that is a possible way to delay 2nd HT. and if it doesnt work then HT is always an option to give finishing touch wherever meds didnt work.

first HT gives good front profile so no urgency either. meds can be given good time before second surgery needed for crown or temples etc

Edited by duckling
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, lunch_owl said:

Are there any statistics on how many percentage of people goes for at least a second procedure?

I would honestly say that 95%+ of guys require a 2nd procedure in order to have a good end-result. 

You may have guys who are 'happy enough' with their 1st procedure and decide to end their journey after the 1st procedure, but often times these guys just want 'more hair' and don't know objectively what makes a good hair transplant or not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I would honestly say that 95%+ of guys require a 2nd procedure in order to have a good end-result. 

You may have guys who are 'happy enough' with their 1st procedure and decide to end their journey after the 1st procedure, but often times these guys just want 'more hair' and don't know objectively what makes a good hair transplant or not. 

Depends on how far they are gone. 

I would say anything that goes beyond norwood 3 will usually need at least a second one to clear it off. 

Most of the times it really depends on the extensiveness of the impacted area. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lunch_owl said:

So it is safe to say that the majority of people who went through with their first will do a second procedure?

If we are talking about numbers I would say yes. Its rarely ever a one and done proccedure unless you chose one of the high norwood clinics (Eugenix, Zarev, Pitella).

Personaly I feel safer with the two step approach because it would allow for higher preservation just in case something would go wrong and you have the flexibility to combine different meds until you go for the second visit so you may need less grafts and achieve higher perservation. 

All you can do is make sure that you get the most out of those two proccedures to maximize the results you can get each time. 

• Like 1