Oral minoxidil 2.5mg - please help

LostAndFound

Hi all,

I’ve been taking finasteride 1mg for years but decided just over a week ago to add oral minoxidil 2.5mg once daily to my regime. 

I am experiencing a number of side effects - burning feeling in the heart and left arm. Occasionally Elevated heart rates which then drop quickly down to normal. Tingling, sore feeling in the hands, calves and feet.

Has anyone else experienced the same? What i I’m wondering is if I should carry on, in the hope that these are just initiated side effects that will go away. The other option is to stop altogether but I do feel it’s very early. 

What confuses me is that almost all of the top surgeons recommend oral minoxidil. Am I just a rare case or is this quite normal?

i actually felt some of these side effects like itching in left arm. I also got slight swelling in a small area near vein in my arm. I was so scared. But it all went away in 10 days i think. I have used it for last 2 months and nothing has happened anymore after that initial period. I read that minoxidil lowers bp in part by remodeling large blood vessel walls so maybe that is why intially i got those sides. I did a full body check twice in 2 months and i was perfectly fine else would have stopped. 

I am planning to switch back though to topical as my body hair has grown and i have lot of body hair so it they grow more then i will stop. I have already started alternating between topical and oral now. And am yet to decide. 

4 hours ago, LostAndFound said:

Hi all,

I’ve been taking finasteride 1mg for years but decided just over a week ago to add oral minoxidil 2.5mg once daily to my regime. 

I am experiencing a number of side effects - burning feeling in the heart and left arm. Occasionally Elevated heart rates which then drop quickly down to normal. Tingling, sore feeling in the hands, calves and feet.

Has anyone else experienced the same? What i I’m wondering is if I should carry on, in the hope that these are just initiated side effects that will go away. The other option is to stop altogether but I do feel it’s very early. 

What confuses me is that almost all of the top surgeons recommend oral minoxidil. Am I just a rare case or is this quite normal?

This doesn't sound good -- not worth messing with your heart if you feel this way but def talk to ur doctor.

• Valued Contributor

I have been taking it since very long without any side effects but every person reacts to meds in a different way so don't go on that thing that i don't face any issues so you will not and i faced the issues so you will face the same...its our body and we have to see how it is responding to the drugs we put in...you may consult a good surgeon ....and yeh if the side effects persists for more than 10-12 days thn stop it 

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023