Does Minoxidil reach a point of ineffectiveness ??

Minoxidil reach a point of ineffectiveness ??

Does Minoxidil reach a point of ineffectiveness? If you observe significant results from using Minoxidil, will its effectiveness diminish after five years of continuous use? I want to clarify that I'm not referring to the natural hair loss associated with male pattern baldness (MPB). Although hair loss may still occur over time, even when using Finasteride, it typically happens at a slower rate compared to not using Finasteride. My main inquiry is whether Minoxidil loses its efficacy after five years, resulting in no noticeable hair loss if you decide to discontinue its use (since any potential hair loss would have already taken place due to Minoxidil no longer being effective), as it no longer provides any benefits beyond that time period.

@alexmillne,

Minoxidil doesn’t necessarily diminish in effectiveness over time however, it is possible that overtime, individuals may not respond as well as they used to.  in other words, it’s less about the minoxidil and more about the individual. As individuals age, physiology changes, etc., non-surgical solutions are sometimes not as effective as they used to be. That said, it’s possible that minoxidil will continue to work as long as you use it matter how old you are.  This  is also true of finasteride.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thank you for your response.

I would appreciate your opinion regarding the appropriate timing to begin using minoxidil. I have been taking finasteride for nearly 1.5 years and have noticed some minor improvements. However, the results haven't been as significant as I had hoped. It seems that finasteride has mainly helped stabilize my hair loss, reducing the amount of shedding compared to before.

In October, I am scheduled for a hair transplantation procedure. I am considering starting minoxidil to potentially enhance the thickness of my hair. However, I am contemplating whether it would be better to wait a few months after the hair transplant before initiating minoxidil usage. My concern is that if I start using minoxidil now, the surgeon may not have an accurate "picture" of my miniaturized hair bulbs (MHB) during the transplantation procedure. Moreover, I want to avoid the doctor harvesting "minoxidil-dependent hairs" from my donor area and transplanting them into my hairline.

Do you believe my reasoning is correct?

4 hours ago, alexmillne said:

Minoxidil reach a point of ineffectiveness ??

Does Minoxidil reach a point of ineffectiveness? If you observe significant results from using Minoxidil, will its effectiveness diminish after five years of continuous use? I want to clarify that I'm not referring to the natural hair loss associated with male pattern baldness (MPB). Although hair loss may still occur over time, even when using Finasteride, it typically happens at a slower rate compared to not using Finasteride. My main inquiry is whether Minoxidil loses its efficacy after five years, resulting in no noticeable hair loss if you decide to discontinue its use (since any potential hair loss would have already taken place due to Minoxidil no longer being effective), as it no longer provides any benefits beyond that time period.

you get any sides from Fin? 

Thats a question I myself was trying to solve. Basically, the answer I got from forum members was, thats it worth to start before. (I guess you are talking about oral minox?)

The thing is: Oral Minox works for all your hair. Strengthen it. And the surgeons can seperate the solid ones from the ones already miniaturizing (even with oral minox). Thats what I understood. And even if some "minox" hair is transplanted. Its less than 5 %.

people who respond to minoxidil will keep responding to minoxidil. Only thing is that its only a booster and not a cure for slowing/stopping hairloss as it doesnt fight DHT. it rather helps increase blood flow to scalp and also works as a stimulator which pushes follicles to growth phase and extends the growth phase of follicles. if you dont use finasteride then DHT will cause miniaturization of hair follicles and eventually they fall out.

Body keeps responding to minoxidil but its just that it cannot overpower AGA which causes high DHT. It sure can delay a bit . And also minoxidil gains for any reversal of miniaturized hair (mostly in crown) are maxed out in first few years. after that its all maintenance so people think its not working anymore.

if you leave minoxidil then the blood flow to scalp goes back to how it was without the med and it also affects the growth phase of hair which minoxidil had changed. the follicles will resume their normal cycle.