How long does your hair have to be to be?

for the consultation: keep your hair in usual length which you always keep and comb it the way you always comb. accordingly doctor will know how to put grafta in (angulation , desired density in certain areas, which areas can be hidden with combover until 2nd surgery if the area cant be covered in first seating)

they will use magnification tools while parting your hair and you can see every hair strand with its diameter in the screen.

for the surgery: surgeon will let you know and they usually cut it during the surgery prep. No need to worry about this.

Depends on the clinic. I enquired them about this and at least for the surgery they are happy to see me in any length before cutting it off so I have been 9 months without a haircut. Will be around 10 once surgery comes. 

From my understanding though at least when it comes to the surgery it's best that is longer then shorter so the doctor can see which areas can be covered with native hair and which ones need more attention. 

Bear in mind though I intend to keep my hair long post surgery. Some clinics may consider the goals or not so perhaps if you desire to have lower lenght then it's best to come around that lenght but this is merely my interpretation. 

Edited by TheGreatPretender

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like I will probably have to wait a while for a consultation then, as I recently shaved it. Perhaps I'll enquire with some places I'm interested in though, just to make sure.

@TheGreatPretender I would like to grow it out long after the transplant myself, as I used to enjoy having hair to grow and style in the beforetimes. I just can't stand how it looks currently so I shave it off!!! I've got pretty advanced MPB.

22 minutes ago, barnett said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like I will probably have to wait a while for a consultation then, as I recently shaved it. Perhaps I'll enquire with some places I'm interested in though, just to make sure.

@TheGreatPretender I would like to grow it out long after the transplant myself, as I used to enjoy having hair to grow and style in the beforetimes. I just can't stand how it looks currently so I shave it off!!! I've got pretty advanced MPB.

Then perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to just let it grow and comb it if you still can so the clinic can access how much it would take to get the appropriate coverage for the hairstyle you're aiming to get. 

I know it sucks because I have been stuck doing hairstyles this way because I can't really stand being bald so I just do a Saul Goodman type of combover if you know what I mean. 

I do have "kind off" advanced baldness (NW V Pattern) aswell but its more diffuse thinning then a complete recession. 

Best of luck though and keep us posted.

Yeah that makes sense, thinking about it, I guess there are hairs that might not be very visible for a few weeks and that might affect where they want to put grafts? 

I did the side comb myself for a while, which especially worked because one side was a bit balder than the other and I could cover the 'bad' side. But these days my balding is not diffuse at all in the front unfortunately, I look like Robocop with his helmet off. 

7 minutes ago, barnett said:

Yeah that makes sense, thinking about it, I guess there are hairs that might not be very visible for a few weeks and that might affect where they want to put grafts? 

I did the side comb myself for a while, which especially worked because one side was a bit balder than the other and I could cover the 'bad' side. But these days my balding is not diffuse at all in the front unfortunately, I look like Robocop with his helmet off. 

That sucks, my balding is diffuse but the scalp is still visible without a proper combover and it looks awfull from certain angles, the density is pretty much gone at this stage unfortunately. 

I'm curious about your case,feel free to DM me if you'd like an opinion since it appears we have similar goals.