No growth during the first week - Normal or could it indicate a failed HT?

Nop5

Hi all,

I've been lurking in this forum for a long time and finally had my first transplant a week ago; I'm hoping to make a more detailed post later. I know it's very early and it is difficult to see how it will turn out at this point. However, I'm slightly concerned about my first week's results since the transplanted hair has not grown at all after the transplantation. From what I've learned at least some of the hair should temporarily grow in the first week before going into resting/shedding phase.

I learned 2 weeks prior to the transplantation that I have a mild iron deficiency anemia but the clinic assured that it wouldn't be a barrier to the surgery. Now I'm worried that there might be some problems (such as follicles not getting enough oxygen and dying) based on the initial results.

Preop: 

preop-1.thumb.jpg.97dfb1b1bf92ba8cc9c13433bced670e.jpg

7 days post-op

7day-1.thumb.JPG.bfcf696dd7369b8224784f59b5e3e4af.JPG

7day-2.thumb.JPG.1912c8a8f2f82921708b9e8c94e00c5d.JPG

7day-3.thumb.JPG.cb50934e9417039b899d96e938fad2ad.JPG

7 days post-op zoomed, showing no growth of the transplanted grafts (longer hair between them is my existing hair)

7day-4.JPG.f27e2ee41cb65724cb87e8869d4612b2.JPG

Would like to hear other people's experiences and opinions.

Edited by Nop5

• Valued Contributor

You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. The new grafts receive oxygen via the bloodstream. These new grafts will shed over the next month or more. Then you have the ugly duckling phase. Best thing to do is just to follow your surgeon’s instructions and keep yourself busy. The more you can distract yourself the better over the ensuing months ahead. Happy growing! 👍

On 5/20/2023 at 5:26 AM, Nop5 said:

Hi all,

I've been lurking in this forum for a long time and finally had my first transplant a week ago; I'm hoping to make a more detailed post later. I know it's very early and it is difficult to see how it will turn out at this point. However, I'm slightly concerned about my first week's results since the transplanted hair has not grown at all after the transplantation. From what I've learned at least some of the hair should temporarily grow in the first week before going into resting/shedding phase.

I learned 2 weeks prior to the transplantation that I have a mild iron deficiency anemia but the clinic assured that it wouldn't be a barrier to the surgery. Now I'm worried that there might be some problems (such as follicles not getting enough oxygen and dying) based on the initial results.

Preop: 

preop-1.thumb.jpg.97dfb1b1bf92ba8cc9c13433bced670e.jpg

7 days post-op

7day-1.thumb.JPG.bfcf696dd7369b8224784f59b5e3e4af.JPG

7day-2.thumb.JPG.1912c8a8f2f82921708b9e8c94e00c5d.JPG

7day-3.thumb.JPG.cb50934e9417039b899d96e938fad2ad.JPG

7 days post-op zoomed, showing no growth of the transplanted grafts (longer hair between them is my existing hair)

7day-4.JPG.f27e2ee41cb65724cb87e8869d4612b2.JPG

Would like to hear other people's experiences and opinions.

Follicles cannot grow during the first week due to no blood connection, so no nutrients and no oxygen for the first 5 days following surgery.

Shouldn't expect any hair growth in the transplanted follicles, should expect them to shed over 2 weeks then rest. Temporary growth MIGHT happen in a rare few, but this also might just be the hair shaft being expelled by the follicle and giving the appearance of growth.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/23/2023 at 10:15 PM, Nop5 said:

Thanks to everyone for your comments, really appreciate it. Removed the scabs today and it's looking really good and I'm no longer worried. Waiting for the shed 😁

Could you please update? I have an anemia too.

10 hours ago, Nop5 said:

I'm happy with the growth at six months, and I believe that my mild anemia had little to no negative impact on my results 😁

Amazing! Could you please share your last Hemoglobin, Hematocrit (HCT), and RBC values? This will help alot 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 11:23 PM, Nop5 said:

I'm happy with the growth at six months, and I believe that my mild anemia had little to no negative impact on my results 😁

On 11/25/2023 at 9:30 AM, Kacan said:

Amazing! Could you please share your last Hemoglobin, Hematocrit (HCT), and RBC values? This will help alot 

🙏🏼

On 11/25/2023 at 9:30 AM, Kacan said:

Hi, sorry for taking so long to answer. Hemoglobin 11.9g/dL, HCT 37% and RBC 4.6.

Hope that helps!

On 12/5/2023 at 8:31 PM, Nop5 said:

Hi, sorry for taking so long to answer. Hemoglobin 11.9g/dL, HCT 37% and RBC 4.6.

Hope that helps!

Editttt

Edited by Kacan
Wrong color

On 12/5/2023 at 8:31 PM, Nop5 said:

Hope that helps!

Thank you!  Did all the grafts successfully adopt to the scalp? Is everything growing?  By the way, a before/after photo will be amazing!