when to start finasteride

chris71080

Hi guys, 

I'm 6.5 weeks post transplant and would like to start om Oral Finaseride ( never used anything before)  I just wondered what your thoughts were on when I should start taking this? 

Clinic have advised to wait 6 months as they felt may no be required but also so as not to effect initial results as can cause thinning as initial side effect. 

Happy for any feedback from users/previous users 😊 I guess I'd like to start ASAP but don't want to mess up initial results either.

Thanks in advance 

Fin is not necessary in only 2 cases after HT :

1) you are already norwood 6,7 and you didnt get any regrowth from previous use of finasteride. no point restarting.

2) you are norwood 2,3 at age 35-40+. Then AGA meds are not for you as risk is higher than reward. it just doesnt do wonders for your hairline except very rare cases.

if you are neither of the two cases then you normally should have been on finasteride a year before HT. This way you would be past the initial finasteride shedding phase at 2 month mark, then your hair loss would have stopped/become stable by 6 months max and then in best case you would got some regrowth in 1 year mark.(this would have decreased your grafts count needed for HT ).

if you aren't on fin now then you can lose your existing hair so i would suggest to go on fin. Yes the result will not look the best due to shedding from fin but its temporary shedding. you will get stronger hair back in next 6-12 months, with possibility of some re-growth in crown and mid-scalp.

Thanks for info.

I'd never been keen on medications to be honest and had always hoped transplant would be sufficient but after seeing many posts on here and really researching I realise fin is way to go to try to keep existing hair also. 

Guess better to get on sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, chris71080 said:

Thanks for info.

I'd never been keen on medications to be honest and had always hoped transplant would be sufficient but after seeing many posts on here and really researching I realise fin is way to go to try to keep existing hair also. 

Guess better to get on sooner rather than later. 

if worried about sides then please use topical fin+min . Risks are very low and efficacy is comparable to oral version for many people.