Donor Hair growth from Oral minox viable for HT?

So here's a question. I used to take oral minox. And I had a substantial amount of hair growth in both the top of my head and also the donor. I didn't realize how much growth I had back there until I stopped oral minox and I noticed I was shedding like 50 hairs a day in my donor area everytime I washed my head. The shedding stopped after a month or two but it made me think.

Would those hairs that grew from oral minox be viable to use in a hair transplant?....cause technically they were only temporary hairs brought in by the oral minox. But if those temporary hairs were extracted by a doctor and placed at the top would they then turn into permanent hairs?....Or would they simply fall right back out?.....maybe a doctor would be better off answering this question. 

Just to take it further. I also got substantial hair growth in my beard, body, and eyebrows with oral minox. Even my upper cheeks and forehead. But after stopping oral, a lot of those hairs fell back out. 

Edited by -TheHairUpThere-

When doing HT, a good surgeon picks out the most healthy grafts. Those new hair from meds they can easily figure out under magnification. To naked eye it might all look same so i understand the confusion. True that the surgeon might extract some weak hair too (which minoxidil had helped thicken) but there is only so much you can control. But rest assured that majority of grafts will be healthy with a good surgeon.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

I was thinking same thing and was worried about it but after talking with few good surgeons i came to know as duckling said a good doctor with magnification can find out which hair to pick....they can differentiate those hairs from native healthy hairs...bdw why did you stop it if you got such good results ?

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

10 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

I was thinking same thing and was worried about it but after talking with few good surgeons i came to know as duckling said a good doctor with magnification can find out which hair to pick....they can differentiate those hairs from native healthy hairs...bdw why did you stop it if you got such good results ?

To be honest I stopped for two reasons. One of which being I was concerned with this very problem. I was worried that the doctor might extract a bunch of the non terminal hairs brought on by the oral minox and I would end up with a bad result. So I wanted to ensure everything I had on the day of surgery was 100% strong healthy hair. Just wanted everything to go smoothly. 

The 2nd reason is because I was growing hair on my upper cheeks and even my nose. They were very thin whispy hairs but still. It made my pores look big. It was also making my face puffy and old looking. But I was taking a pretty high dose. 7.5mg. I would take 5 drops of liquid minox under the tongue. I knew that it helped just wasn't aware of how significant it was. So I plan on getting back on at a much lower dose. Probably 1.5mg or 3. To reduce the side effects. But there's no denying that oral minox is the king of hair regrowth. Nothing else worked on that level. 

• Face Palm 1

11 hours ago, duckling said:

When doing HT, a good surgeon picks out the most healthy grafts. Those new hair from meds they can easily figure out under magnification. To naked eye it might all look same so i understand the confusion. True that the surgeon might extract some weak hair too (which minoxidil had helped thicken) but there is only so much you can control. But rest assured that majority of grafts will be healthy with a good surgeon.

Oh ok I see. Thanks for the feedback. Just didn't wanna screw up my transplant. But that's good to know. I'm probably gonna start back up on the oral minox soon if that's the case. Plan on getting a 2nd transplant sometime next year. Thanks. 

Edited by -TheHairUpThere-

• Valued Contributor
14 hours ago, -TheHairUpThere- said:

To be honest I stopped for two reasons. One of which being I was concerned with this very problem. I was worried that the doctor might extract a bunch of the non terminal hairs brought on by the oral minox and I would end up with a bad result. So I wanted to ensure everything I had on the day of surgery was 100% strong healthy hair. Just wanted everything to go smoothly. 

The 2nd reason is because I was growing hair on my upper cheeks and even my nose. They were very thin whispy hairs but still. It made my pores look big. It was also making my face puffy and old looking. But I was taking a pretty high dose. 7.5mg. I would take 5 drops of liquid minox under the tongue. I knew that it helped just wasn't aware of how significant it was. So I plan on getting back on at a much lower dose. Probably 1.5mg or 3. To reduce the side effects. But there's no denying that oral minox is the king of hair regrowth. Nothing else worked on that level. 

Oh okay....You can have 2.5mg oral minoxidil pills..

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@-TheHairUpThere-,

There is a short answer and a long answer. The short answer is yes, the hairs that were restored from all minoxidil reliable for transplant. The longer answer is as follows.

While you can certainly transplant viable, terminal hairs that have fully grown or thickened up from non-surgical solutions such as finasteride or minoxidil, they are only as permanent as your use of the medication. For example, if you begin taking oral minoxidil again and have the same success, you could technically transplant those hairs that grow and are terminal but if you stop taking oral minoxidil, you will likely lose those hairs even after they’re transplanted. Why? Because of a principle known as donor dominance.  Essentially, donor dominance means that each transplanted hair will maintain the characteristics and properties they had when they were in the donor region. Transplanting them does not change their characteristics. This is a good thing in most cases because that’s why hair transplantation works.

If donor dominance did not exist, donor hair moved to the top of the scalp  would simply fall out because they would have changed characteristics and now will be affected by DHT. The reason why hair transplant surgery works is because hairs on the sides and back of the head are not susceptible to DHT for the most part and moving them doesn’t change this.

So long story short, hair loss medication is great for helping individuals maintain their existing natural hair and could even thicken up some of the thinning hairs, although rather on the rarer side.  But planning her transplant surgery around non-surgical solutions can be a bit risky. While most hair transplant clinics including ours certainly recommend considering nonsurgical solutions (disclaimer: Abe sure sure to consult with the doctor before taking any prescription Medication), our clinic is careful to make the best use of available donor hair under the assumption that non-surgical solutions won’t work forever.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:57 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@-TheHairUpThere-,

There is a short answer and a long answer. The short answer is yes, the hairs that were restored from all minoxidil reliable for transplant. The longer answer is as follows.

While you can certainly transplant viable, terminal hairs that have fully grown or thickened up from non-surgical solutions such as finasteride or minoxidil, they are only as permanent as your use of the medication. For example, if you begin taking oral minoxidil again and have the same success, you could technically transplant those hairs that grow and are terminal but if you stop taking oral minoxidil, you will likely lose those hairs even after they’re transplanted. Why? Because of a principle known as donor dominance.  Essentially, donor dominance means that each transplanted hair will maintain the characteristics and properties they had when they were in the donor region. Transplanting them does not change their characteristics. This is a good thing in most cases because that’s why hair transplantation works.

If donor dominance did not exist, donor hair moved to the top of the scalp  would simply fall out because they would have changed characteristics and now will be affected by DHT. The reason why hair transplant surgery works is because hairs on the sides and back of the head are not susceptible to DHT for the most part and moving them doesn’t change this.

So long story short, hair loss medication is great for helping individuals maintain their existing natural hair and could even thicken up some of the thinning hairs, although rather on the rarer side.  But planning her transplant surgery around non-surgical solutions can be a bit risky. While most hair transplant clinics including ours certainly recommend considering nonsurgical solutions (disclaimer: Abe sure sure to consult with the doctor before taking any prescription Medication), our clinic is careful to make the best use of available donor hair under the assumption that non-surgical solutions won’t work forever.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks a lot doctor. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Really appreciate you taking the time to answer🙏