How Long Do We Need To Avoid Exercise And Direct Sunlight After HT

• Valued Contributor

Many of you might be knowing that i recently had my ht surgery so just wondering how long do i need to avoid direct sunlight and exercise...its like this days are really boring and irritating....😢

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• A_4_Archan changed the title to How Long Do We Need To Avoid Exercise And Direct Sunlight After HT

Direct sunlight (for longer than 10 minutes) - 6 months
Working out (cardio) - 3 weeks
Working out (heavy weights) - 4 weeks

This is what I got from my HT doc.  Every doc provides slightly different estimates, especially with the working out thing...but I find that they are pretty consistent on avoiding the sun (to avoid sunburn) for 6 months.  

Just buy some nice baseball caps.  It's summer time, so you can get away with it.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
47 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

This is what I got from my HT doc.  Every doc provides slightly different estimates, especially with the working out thing...but I find that they are pretty consistent on avoiding the sun (to avoid sunburn) for 6 months.  

Just buy some nice baseball caps.  It's summer time, so you can get away with it.

Thanks ....yeh already bought few caps as i gonna need it for few months ...😅

--> My Thread

7 hours ago, Bucky O Hair said:

+

How soon after a HT can someone sunbath to get a tan with a backwards baseball cap on in a way that it covers the hairline but the face gets the sun exposure? 

This would involve sweating

1 hour ago, MattJosh said:

How soon after a HT can someone sunbath to get a tan with a backwards baseball cap on in a way that it covers the hairline but the face gets the sun exposure? 

This would involve sweating

I think any sort of sweating is fine after the 2 week mark postop.  Push it to 4 weeks if you wanna be safe.

I actually asked my HT the same question you asked (because I want to go to the beach) and they said to just wear a hat on the beach and you're good.  They just don't want your actual recipient area to get burned at all.  They do want you to shower afterward to keep the area clean.

To be safe, I even bought a waterproof hat that I could wear when I go swimming (I tend to swim out there for 30+ minutes).  They sell baseball caps that are completely waterproof and float.  The brand that I bought was called "Everyday California" and they make a floating waterproof snapback surf hat.  There are a lot of other brands that make floating waterproof caps like Melin, Kore, etc.   It's probably worth grabbing one if you're going into the water for an extended period of time.  

• Like 1

Hello!

We usually recommend to start with exercise some weeks after the hair transplant. Making a difference, with the cardio you must wait from 6 to 8 weeks and for a work out (heavy weights) between 4 and 5 weeks.

Regarding the sun exposure, don't do it in the firsts months. Seek shades and protect yourself from the sun and don't use a cap until a month after surgery.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
56 minutes ago, Dr. Espinosa Custodio said:

Hello!

We usually recommend to start with exercise some weeks after the hair transplant. Making a difference, with the cardio you must wait from 6 to 8 weeks and for a work out (heavy weights) between 4 and 5 weeks.

Regarding the sun exposure, don't do it in the firsts months. Seek shades and protect yourself from the sun and don't use a cap until a month after surgery.

Oh thanks for the suggestions doc....just need to ask one more thing ...actually after my surgery ..i went out for next few days..but not in sun...bt there was hot climate ..so had some sweating ..but i took care that nothing touched my scalp and i don't get hit or touched by someone on the implanted zone..i wore bandana to protect my head...but there was sweat cause of hot climate ...hope just sweating is fine and doesn't negatively effect my surgery ..?

Edited by A_4_Archan

--> My Thread