Topical Minoxidil and Weight Gain

happygilmore

I am 40 years old, and have been on 1mg oral Finasteride daily for the last 10+ years.  I tired topical minoxidil for several months back when I started Finasteride but did not see any change in my hair loss so stopped it (perhaps pre-maturely).  I have recently gotten a HT in March and the Dr suggested I get back on Minoxidil which I have for the last 1 month (Topical 5% 2x daily) but have gained close to 10 lbs over the course of the month without any other changes as far as I can tell. I am exercising just as often if not a little more and my diet has stayed consistent.  I did not noticed this same issue back when I first started taking it, but don't really remember at this point.  I have read about water retention with Minoxidil but only when taken orally.  Has anyone else experienced this before and if so any ideas how to deal with it other then stopping/reducing dosage? Any alternatives OTC? I want make sure I give the best success rate to this HT but also trying to balance the weight gain.

• Valued Contributor

No proven alternative for minoxidil ...but i never saw a case where it has such a side effect ...i don't think so that the drug has anything to do with weight gain..still you should approach your surgeon ..did you talk to your surgeon regarding this? 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023