Impact of Hair Density vs Hair Thickness on Visual Coverage

Hello Everyone! 

I had a detailed trichoscopy done around 10 days ago. Wanted to share an interesting insight from there as to how hair density and thickness affect visual coverage.

The image below is a combover of my scalp with slightly wet hair. Look at the frontal area (marked in blue) and the mid scalp (marked in red). The former looks full while the latter appears sparse with the scalp clearly visible. 

Interestingly, hair density in the blue region is ~35 grafts/sq cm, while that in the red region is ~45 grafts/sq cm. However, the frontal hairs are thick and healthy transplanted terminal hairs while mid scalp mostly has much thinner vellus and intermediate hairs. As a result, despite a greater count, visual coverage is comparatively poor in the red region. 

A practical demonstration that hair thickness plays just as important a role as density on visual coverage. If somehow I manage to turn those vellus hairs into thicker terminal hairs (already on oral minoxidil & finasteride, may start dutasteride soon) the visual coverage of my mid-scalp should outperform the transplanted frontal area.

Please share related experiences if you have any. Thanks 

Screenshot_20230508-164807.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

@ThePerseverantWarrior Thats true...the hair thickness plays a vital role...good that you shared your experience and this will be a help to many....imo your mid scalp and crown will get dense as your hairs will get fuller and thicker by using oral minoxidil....you may also consider prp cause that helps in the same thing and many people get good results specially on mid scalp and crown... 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

1 hour ago, A_4_Archan said:

@ThePerseverantWarrior Thats true...the hair thickness plays a vital role...good that you shared your experience and this will be a help to many....imo your mid scalp and crown will get dense as your hairs will get fuller and thicker by using oral minoxidil....you may also consider prp cause that helps in the same thing and many people get good results specially on mid scalp and crown... 

Thanks. 

I'm hoping for some improvement via minoxidil, and possibly even dutasteride if I am able to tolerate it.

I have tried PRP though. Didn't see any significant improvement.  

• Valued Contributor
Just now, ThePerseverantWarrior said:

Thanks. 

I'm hoping for some improvement via minoxidil, and possibly even dutasteride if I am able to tolerate it.

I have tried PRP though. Didn't see any significant improvement.  

That's nice...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023