Help to navigate post-op symptoms almost 1 years, 8 months after

Greetings everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. As a newcomer to this forum, I'm unsure if this is the appropriate place to discuss my issue. Please forgive me if it's not and kindly redirect me to the appropriate forum.

I underwent a hair transplant procedure at Cosmedica in Turkey back in September 2021. The clinic provided me with excellent service and professionalism, and everything was progressing smoothly until recently.

Two weeks ago, I suddenly started feeling discomfort in both my implanted and donor areas. They are very sensitive and tight, even without touching them, and I also experience a slight burning sensation in both areas. Although I always experienced some scalp discomfort when pressed hard, the intensity has increased in the past two weeks and it feels similar to how it felt post-surgery. At this point, I do not see anything visually that could point me in the right direction (see attached pictures)

These symptoms often result in headaches that can be very uncomfortable, and I have been feeling this way every day for the past two weeks. Over-the-counter headache medication is helping a bit, but it is clearly just a band-aid.

I don't understand why it is happening now after such a long time since my surgery, as I had a normal recovery timeline and was feeling well.

I haven't made any changes to my lifestyle, used new hair products, or gone swimming recently, so I'm unsure why this sudden discomfort has emerged.

Unfortunately, since the clinic is located far away from me (I'm in the US), it's not feasible for me to travel for a checkup. I've also sent them my symptoms and I'm waiting for their response, but I understand that it will be challenging to diagnose remotely.

Have you seen any other patients experiencing this? What should I do? What doctor should I see?

I am considering to engage local transplant surgeons to see if they can help me but it is unclear if they'd be willing to help

Screenshot_1.jpg

20230426_114815(1).jpg

20230426_114901(1).jpg

57 minutes ago, mark1x12110 said:

I don't understand why it is happening now after such a long time since my surgery, as I had a normal recovery timeline and was feeling well.

I agree that the timing of this occuring doesn't make sense for the HT to be the culprit. 

See your local primary doctor for a full examination and diagnosis of the problem areas. Definitely let him know about the hair transplant as well and your own thoughts. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I agree that the timing of this occuring doesn't make sense for the HT to be the culprit. 

See your local primary doctor for a full examination and diagnosis of the problem areas. Definitely let him know about the hair transplant as well and your own thoughts. 

Thank you for your time and response

The only reason I think that it might related to the HT is that the areas that are bothering me are both the implanted and donor areas and because the feeling is very similar to what I felt post-op

It might be just a coincidence though.

2 minutes ago, mark1x12110 said:

The only reason I think that it might related to the HT is that the areas that are bothering me are both the implanted and donor areas and because the feeling is very similar to what I felt post-op

it very well might be related to the HT (or might not). But unless you live locally to a good HT AND they can book you in relatively soon (both are very unlikely) your next best shot is going to a primary care doctor, dermatologist, or perhaps even a neurologist. Basically any doctor who has a good understanding of the scalp, skin, and your nerves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark1x12110 said:

Are you sure it is ONLY in the implanted and donor areas?  How about the areas in between?

Also, how long did it take for your nerves to heal when you had your HT?

If it is strictly those two areas, then I would ask your doc to refer you to a  neurologist to see if it's possible for nerve damage to recur.  It doesn't seem like that would be possible, but just in case.

My other guess is that it's possibly psoriasis, and the reason why you may be feeling it in your donor and recipient area is that maybe these areas are still sensitive (and more prone) to skin conditions.  Psoriasis isn't necessarily visible with red or blotchy skin.  Many cases look like nothing is there, but you'll stiil feel that itchy/sunburn/pain feeling there.

I would also ask your doc to refer you to a dermatologist.

Edited by Bucky O Hair
  • Like 1

In case it helps in any way, one other side effect that I am feeling starting yesterday is a very itchy scalp. I am doing my best not to scratch it as it does not help

Thank you for your help. I scheduled an appointment with my primary doctor. It is just challenging to see them quickly and I would appreciate some insights in the meantime

@mark1x12110,

I admit this is quite puzzling and even troubling potentially however, my best guess based on the limit information that we have is that what you’re experiencing is likely not related to the hair transplant and possibly some underlying scalp condition that you possibly recently acquired touches seborrheic dermatitis or some other kind of condition that causes itching, burning, information, etc.

that said, we are very limited as to what we can do to help you on this forum so I strongly suggest that you contact both your hair transplant surgeon ASAP and a dermatologist by making an appointment And letting them evaluate your scalp in person. Don’t forget to tell them that you’ve had a Hair Transplant over a year and a half ago so they have all the information. Most dermatologist should be able to determine whether or not there is some underlying scalp condition causing this but it would be helpful if the dermatologist was familiar with hair transplant surgery and also  specialized in hair. For example, a tricologist might be ideal.

I encourage you to contact these professionals immediately and then let us know what they say.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.