I scratched crown 5 weeks after HT

Hey :)  I had HT around 5 weeks ago. I've got grafts in forehead and some on crown. My surgeon advised me that I can start use minoxidil after 3 weeks so did I but only in crown area. After 4-5 weeks I noticed that I have died skin and a lot of dandruff. I started to scratch crown softly by fingers to take out this died skin but I noticed that flakes came out with the transplanted hair.  Is it possibility that I damaged grafts on my recipient area and my HT in crown area will fail ?

@Arees87,

At only 4 to 5 weeks post op, you are still in the healing phase and thus, you can expect a lot of dry skin and in addition, most of the transplanted hair you have will begin to shed. This typically happens between 4 to 6 weeks.

The first couple of months after surgery is referred to as the doldrums or the ugly duckling phase because sometimes people look worse during this stage before they look better. New transplanted hair will begin to grow between 3 to 5 months after the date of your procedure and will take up to 12 to 18 months to fully grow in and mature.

Long story short, you have a long way to go and you’ll experience several different phases before your new hair grows in.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.