A question about HTs, growth before shedding

Hey everyone, had this question in my mind for a while that I couldn’t find a answer for.

In my case, after my hair transplant for the first 20-25 days, I saw minimal to no shedding, and during this time the transplanted hairs grew longer until they all had finally shed at the 30-35 day mark.

My question is, what is going on here? Is it a good sign that growth is active before fading away due to shock and surgery? Or is it more simply put the hairs working their way out of the scalp over the course of a few weeks?

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Everything sounds right on cue, including the shedding of your grafts…it is not unusual for the grafts to continue growing before they shed…the grafts go into a resting phase for several months before they cycle into a new growth phase.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 4/26/2023 at 1:47 AM, mister_25 said:

Hey everyone, had this question in my mind for a while that I couldn’t find a answer for.

In my case, after my hair transplant for the first 20-25 days, I saw minimal to no shedding, and during this time the transplanted hairs grew longer until they all had finally shed at the 30-35 day mark.

My question is, what is going on here? Is it a good sign that growth is active before fading away due to shock and surgery? Or is it more simply put the hairs working their way out of the scalp over the course of a few weeks?

Interesting…I have the same issue and we both had surgery with the same doctor. I’m 3 weeks post op and have yet to shed yet 

Hold on the shed is coming!

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

3 hours ago, gillenator said:

Hold on the shed is coming!

Damn it!  I am 16 days postop and I love my new hairline and short haircut look.  I don't wanna shed!!!  :)

Question...

Is this 'resting' (telogen) phase generally 90 days from the day you shed?

What about shockloss of native hairs in the donor and recipient area?  Does that usually happen at the same time as the transplanted hairs?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, gillenator said:

it is not unusual for the grafts to continue growing before they shed…

Is this necessarily a good sign or promising sign that your grafts have taken and have survived the surgical process and will come in later post shed? Or is this rather just a common thing and has no relation to whether or not that these grafts have survived?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mister_25 said:

Is this necessarily a good sign or promising sign that your grafts have taken and have survived the surgical process and will come in later post shed? Or is this rather just a common thing and has no relation to whether or not that these grafts have survived?

I am wondering the same thing. Does growth before shedding mean the grafts have survived?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:51 PM, Sunset Dune said:

Interesting…I have the same issue and we both had surgery with the same doctor. I’m 3 weeks post op and have yet to shed yet 

Argh.  I was good right up until the end of week 3, then in week 4 they all shed.  :( 

On 5/2/2023 at 8:26 PM, Bucky O Hair said:

Damn it!  I am 16 days postop and I love my new hairline and short haircut look.  I don't wanna shed!!!  :)

Question...

Is this 'resting' (telogen) phase generally 90 days from the day you shed?

What about shockloss of native hairs in the donor and recipient area?  Does that usually happen at the same time as the transplanted hairs?

Shedding and shock loss are 2 different things…but they behave intermittently and it’s the resting period that lasts approximately 90 days after the shed.

Gillenator

3 hours ago, gillenator said:

Shedding and shock loss are 2 different things…but they behave intermittently and it’s the resting period that lasts approximately 90 days after the shed.

Yea, it all happened for me at week 4.  

I don't seem to have any shock loss though (in the recipient or donor).  But my transplanted hairs have largely fallen off.

Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, mister_25 said:

Anyone got a answer to this question? Almost all of my transplanted hair was growing before it shed and my growth so far is a bit slow and unimpressive at six months which is making me a bit nervous.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, mister_25 said:

Anyone got an answer to this question? Almost all of my transplanted hair was growing before it shed and my growth so far is a bit slow and unimpressive at six months which is making me a bit nervous.

I’m not a doctor so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I find it very hard to believe that grafts that died in the surgery process or shortly after would continue to grow post death. One thing to consider though is that your body may be pushing out hairs from grafts that did not survive, which could appear as growth as the hairs push further out of the scalp. 

12 hours ago, Will_the_way said:

I’m not a doctor so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I find it very hard to believe that grafts that died in the surgery process or shortly after would continue to grow post death. One thing to consider though is that your body may be pushing out hairs from grafts that did not survive, which could appear as growth as the hairs push further out of the scalp. 

The idea that body pushes out dead hairs is interesting. Most of my transplanted grafts grew and then stopped. Most of them are still there 5 weeks post op, don’t grow and also don’t shed. This makes me worry…

Edited by baldfighter

14 hours ago, Will_the_way said:

In my case, about 90-95% of my transplanted hair was growing and then shed at the 1 month mark. However I had a few transplanted hairs that didn't grow at all or shed until somewhere between the 1-3 month mark. I'm just wondering whether one set is "promising" whilst the other set is "worrying"

Edited by mister_25
accidently deleted