sharp punches vs dull punches

Hello everyone, longtime lurker and finally made an account to post. 

Just wanted to know the pros/cons of using a sharp vs blunt punch for an FUE procedure, specifically for afro hair.

I recently had a consultation and was worried as the doctor advised they used sharp punches and I have curly afro hair so I was a little worried that it might increase the transection rate.

Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by habane
spelling

Good question. A sharp punch has a greater risk of transection, which is especially so for Afro hair because it splays under the skin, and especially for multi hair follicular units. FUE is a blind procedure and requires great skill to do properly, doubly so for those with curlier hair.

a dull punch will cause greater torsion on the graft. It stays in contact with the skin longer, and sort of “grabs” the graft. Therefore when the punch rotates the graft can be twisted and damaged. A good doc might minimise this by using careful oscillation instead of continuous rotation.

At the end of the day laymen can’t control what punches surgeons use. Many use hybrid punches these days. You are better off just looking for someone who produced good results on Afro patients, instead of fretting over which punch they use.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Good question. A sharp punch has a greater risk of transection, which is especially so for Afro hair because it splays under the skin, and especially for multi hair follicular units. FUE is a blind procedure and requires great skill to do properly, doubly so for those with curlier hair.

a dull punch will cause greater torsion on the graft. It stays in contact with the skin longer, and sort of “grabs” the graft. Therefore when the punch rotates the graft can be twisted and damaged. A good doc might minimise this by using careful oscillation instead of continuous rotation.

At the end of the day laymen can’t control what punches surgeons use. Many use hybrid punches these days. You are better off just looking for someone who produced good results on Afro patients, instead of fretting over which punch they use.

thank you for the detailed response! I'm looking to get an fut+fue combo as i have advanced hair loss. I really can't afford a high transection rate so i may do fut with this doctor and go to another for fue.