ridging/cobblestoning

Bruno,

Below is an excerpt from a very well respected member named arfy.

"Ridging is something that can happen in the recipient area. Here is my limited understanding of it, I may be off or missing some facts on this one... Larger grafts tend to disrupt the scalp more. This can cause scarring in the sub-layers (sorry I don't know the technical term). When you have a row of this scarring happen, it appears to be a ridge, when you see the combined result. The scalp juts up a little bit. Factors would be the size of the grafts (the main factor I believe), your own healing characteristics (if you tend to form larger scars than average) and possibly skill of the clinic in creating the sites and placing the grafts. Again, it's caused by scarring below the surface.

Cobblestoning is when each individual graft looks like it is coming out of a small bump. The best transplants look like the hair is emerging from smooth beautiful scalp. When grafts are too big, it can look like the hair is emerging from an obvious graft. If the graft wasn't seated perfectly when it was placed (or you are an especially bad healer) you can have a cobblestone effect. Cobblestoning is not supposed to be an issue with real microscopically-trimmed FU grafts, because they have less excess tissue. I have heard maybe one guy say his FUs looked a little bumpy, but that is extremely rare, whereas with Minigrafts it can be fairly common.

Pitting is similar to cobblestoning except rather than a bump, it's a depression or divot. It too is caused by not being properly seated, and seems to be more of an issue with larger grafts."

Thanks arfy,

Cam