What % of docs are actually good?

21 hours ago, Digs49 said:

@NegativeNorwood what about H&W and Pittella?

H&W has a great reputation, but times change, competition evolves and I would like to see better pictures of their work.

Pitella achieves impressive coverage and is a very interesting surgeon, but still would like to see better pictures of his work too.

6 hours ago, Judelaw said:

The demand for transplants is so high that it literally doesn’t matter for elite surgeons. It’s like selling a new iPhone on eBay, you can take one picture of it on the toilet and it will sell immediately if priced $1 too cheap. 

What does a clinic with a constant wait list gain from hiring a team to promote results? 

Hair mills have much more demand than any reputed hair transplant surgeon, some of them have 3 million Instagram followers.

The point is, we need to be able to tell the "good, better than a hairmill" from the "excellent, elite level" clinics apart, and that only is possible with high quality, honest pictures.

Imagine having a "decent" transplant at a reputed clinic, posted the result here, with the usual low quality pictures taken with a phone, and everyone cheered it up, saying nice density, very natural, etc...only to find later that it looks good with your hair long and combed a certain way, but with your hair shorter, the implanting pattern is evident and even more with ligthing on top (can happen in social settings, for example at a restaurant when you are sitting with multiple people around, everyone that looks would notice your transplant or that there's something weird with your hair). You'll have nothing to complain about because you got a "home run" result by that clinic's standards and everyone here agreed with it, so you would still need a second transplant at a different (and better) clinic to fix it (and ofc, more expensive than before because now you are a repair case). This situation wouldn't happen if clinics had high quality, honest pictures posted that allow you to see the quality of their work clearly (talking about the decent ones, not about hair mills, which will botch you badly).

Edited by NegativeNorwood

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

15 hours ago, ready4Hair said:

I think that is a much better place to start.

Poor Planning probably also encompasses:

- Managing Patient expectations

- Accurately assessing donor (density, caliber, groupings) prior to surgery

- Taking into account age, miniaturization, donor area

Value would be a tough one. For instance Dr. Basal is quoting around $24k for 4800 grafts, Dr. Freitas as far as I know (and Dr. Bisanga) would be considerably lower. Eugenix is in India meaning this is premium cost, approaching even Dr. Hasson. So how do we determine value? It isn't just final cost right? Value would be some formula of cost / donor management + esthetic placement + graft survival rate. In my case, for now, I lean towards Dr. Basal (since she seems to do temples as a matter of course vs Dr. Freitas who does great hairlines but so far I see few examples of temples) so "estethic placement" goes up even though cost does.

It gets complex for sure, I'm guessing however there are at the end of the day truly only a handful of clinics or more to the point surgeons that can consistently pull off good and lasting results with the remaining being at least acceptable growth, with few to no failures and where there are less than stellar results amazing aftercare. compassion and when needed touch-up work. A handful as in... 8-24 clinics worldwide IMHO.

Has she doubled her price??

There must be tens of thousands of clinics worldwide. To be a worthwhile clinic, it needs to have great results and ethical. 

Even a generous estimate, I wouldn’t say there are more than 50 clinics worth going to. Personally, if you have decent standards, only 25 or so are worth going to. 

To answer your question, less than 1%. 

2 hours ago, Z-- said:

There must be tens of thousands of clinics worldwide. To be a worthwhile clinic, it needs to have great results and ethical. 

Even a generous estimate, I wouldn’t say there are more than 50 clinics worth going to. Personally, if you have decent standards, only 25 or so are worth going to. 

To answer your question, less than 1%. 

I'd agree, 25 tops worldwide.

Imagine all the things you need going for you.

Amazing surgical skills to extract specific donor hair and in ways that don't ruin donor area.

Amazing team/clinic/processes/lab to keep those donor hairs healthy prior to implant.

Amazing surgical AND esthetic skills to make incisions in the exact right position and angle that will ensure density, survival rate and natural hairline integrated with any existing one.

Ability to select and utilize groupings in such a way that mimics reality (fine hairs up front etc)

Ability to understand and frame hairlines in such a way that is natural and pleasing to the eye

Ability to plan all this with potential future loss taken into account which requires knowledge of miniturization patterns as it relates to age and individual patient, etc.

Desire to produce the best not the most transplants i.e. commitment to work not just money/profits.

4 hours ago, ready4Hair said:

I'd agree, 25 tops worldwide.

Imagine all the things you need going for you.

Amazing surgical skills to extract specific donor hair and in ways that don't ruin donor area.

Amazing team/clinic/processes/lab to keep those donor hairs healthy prior to implant.

Amazing surgical AND esthetic skills to make incisions in the exact right position and angle that will ensure density, survival rate and natural hairline integrated with any existing one.

Ability to select and utilize groupings in such a way that mimics reality (fine hairs up front etc)

Ability to understand and frame hairlines in such a way that is natural and pleasing to the eye

Ability to plan all this with potential future loss taken into account which requires knowledge of miniturization patterns as it relates to age and individual patient, etc.

Desire to produce the best not the most transplants i.e. commitment to work not just money/profits.

All of this just sounds so easy in theory.