Need help in choosing surgeon for my procedure in Turkey

Hey guys, I've been a silent reader of this forum for a couple weeks and now I decided that's time to come out of the shadows. I'm writing it for like 4th time as I want to include every important information and get some feedback from you guys.

I'm 23 years old and I've been balding since my late teens. I have wavy/curly hair so it's been somewhat easy to cover the bald spots but to be honest I can clearly see my confidence drop when my hair is messy and don't cover the bald spots or when it's just windy. My father is Norwood 6/7 (and so is my grandpa) so I'm scared that I'll end up like them. Ever since I started going bald I knew I wanted to transplant my hair and started doing some research on the topic. Thank god I found this forum which is more than enough knowledge on it's own, but to the point.

I used to take minoxidil for like a year and a half on and off and I definitely saw some improvement, nothing crazy but still. I stopped after a call with a consultant from Clinicana Clinic (Turkey) as she told me top stop before procedure to let the hair naturally fall. Yeah, almost went to hair mill to get myself chopped but had some ick and I canceled it last minute. They quoted me 3500 grafts for like 3000 euro. Since then I stopped and I am still wondering should I start using it again or not. Also I've never taken finasteride.

Now is the time to choose perfect surgeon to do my procedure. I looked at many different doctors but after looking at patients makeovers I feel like these are the best: 

FueCapilar (Dr Gur and Dr Turan), Dr Pekiner, Dr Yaman, Dr Bicer

From all of the above Dr. Pekiner is the one that I feel the most comfortable with as I've seen almost only good reviews and I know he specializes in hairline restoration which is something I desperately need. At the same time I know I most probably will need another hair transplant in the future so I need the surgeon not to overharvest the donor area. 

So now I’m asking you for help. Here are the question that I struggle with the most and have trouble answering alone:

-Who should I choose and how can I contact them for online appointment or call?

-Should I contact trichologist before reaching out to them? 

-Should I go back on minoxidil and in which form (foam, spray, pills)?

-Should I start using finasteride to prevent further hair loss or wait after my surgery?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated as I'm somewhat lost in the situation I'm in right now where I feel like I have some knowledge but at the same time I feel like it's still not enough and I don't want to make a decision which might make me bald forever. Below I attach photos of my current hairline and how I try to cover it. 

IMG_7088.thumb.jpeg.0c3b3e902c29637c345f5c115a6c1614.jpegIMG_0796.thumb.JPG.352eba89f265a0ce758077bf1c2f291c.JPGIMG_6532.thumb.JPG.bb1ff6d46434bd84af9855f3732ef81d.JPG

14 hours ago, kurzyeloo said:

Hey guys, I've been a silent reader of this forum for a couple weeks and now I decided that's time to come out of the shadows. I'm writing it for like 4th time as I want to include every important information and get some feedback from you guys.

I'm 23 years old and I've been balding since my late teens. I have wavy/curly hair so it's been somewhat easy to cover the bald spots but to be honest I can clearly see my confidence drop when my hair is messy and don't cover the bald spots or when it's just windy. My father is Norwood 6/7 (and so is my grandpa) so I'm scared that I'll end up like them. Ever since I started going bald I knew I wanted to transplant my hair and started doing some research on the topic. Thank god I found this forum which is more than enough knowledge on it's own, but to the point.

I used to take minoxidil for like a year and a half on and off and I definitely saw some improvement, nothing crazy but still. I stopped after a call with a consultant from Clinicana Clinic (Turkey) as she told me top stop before procedure to let the hair naturally fall. Yeah, almost went to hair mill to get myself chopped but had some ick and I canceled it last minute. They quoted me 3500 grafts for like 3000 euro. Since then I stopped and I am still wondering should I start using it again or not. Also I've never taken finasteride.

Now is the time to choose perfect surgeon to do my procedure. I looked at many different doctors but after looking at patients makeovers I feel like these are the best: 

FueCapilar (Dr Gur and Dr Turan), Dr Pekiner, Dr Yaman, Dr Bicer

From all of the above Dr. Pekiner is the one that I feel the most comfortable with as I've seen almost only good reviews and I know he specializes in hairline restoration which is something I desperately need. At the same time I know I most probably will need another hair transplant in the future so I need the surgeon not to overharvest the donor area. 

So now I’m asking you for help. Here are the question that I struggle with the most and have trouble answering alone:

-Who should I choose and how can I contact them for online appointment or call?

-Should I contact trichologist before reaching out to them? 

-Should I go back on minoxidil and in which form (foam, spray, pills)?

-Should I start using finasteride to prevent further hair loss or wait after my surgery?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated as I'm somewhat lost in the situation I'm in right now where I feel like I have some knowledge but at the same time I feel like it's still not enough and I don't want to make a decision which might make me bald forever. Below I attach photos of my current hairline and how I try to cover it. 

IMG_7088.thumb.jpeg.0c3b3e902c29637c345f5c115a6c1614.jpegIMG_0796.thumb.JPG.352eba89f265a0ce758077bf1c2f291c.JPGIMG_6532.thumb.JPG.bb1ff6d46434bd84af9855f3732ef81d.JPG

Regarding your questions

1. You could choose any of these you listed (FueCapilar (Dr Gur and Dr Turan), Dr Pekiner, Dr Yaman, Dr Bicer) they would give you a nice result. So the choice is yours depending on your budget. You would visit their site/page and send them an email to contact them.
  2. Its not necessary but yes you could visit a local dermatologist firstly to check your scalp (even if it looks fine)
  3. You could get minoxidil for 6-7 months during your hair transplant to help the growth rate.
  4. You should get finasteride before your hair transplant, in order to thicken up your native hairs and prevent further hair loss.
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@kurzyeloo You should really start the medication properly...

You can ask for results of patients who had curly hair ..thn u cn make your decision seeing them..and why you wanna go for turkey only?

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Hey, my first thought was to do the procedure in Poland, but after doing some research and following some people that had their procedures done in Poland I wasn't impressed with the result especially considering they'd spent crazy amount of money (like 8k euro). Then I found out about Turkey as a cheaper alternative and it just stuck with me. I haven't done any research about surgeons from Europe as I though that Turkey has the best of them all and that's why people call it the capital of hair transplants. And as i said previously, most of these doctors are world class (I believe) and I feel somewhat comfortable having my transplant done by one of them.

12 hours ago, Gramatik said:

Regarding your questions

1. You could choose any of these you listed (FueCapilar (Dr Gur and Dr Turan), Dr Pekiner, Dr Yaman, Dr Bicer) they would give you a nice result. So the choice is yours depending on your budget. You would visit their site/page and send them an email to contact them.
  2. Its not necessary but yes you could visit a local dermatologist firstly to check your scalp (even if it looks fine)
  3. You could get minoxidil for 6-7 months during your hair transplant to help the growth rate.
  4. You should get finasteride before your hair transplant, in order to thicken up your native hairs and prevent further hair loss.

Hey, thanks for the answers. Do you have any other advice regarding my pre op preparation?

2 hours ago, Archan said:

@kurzyeloo You should really start the medication properly...

You can ask for results of patients who had curly hair ..thn u cn make your decision seeing them..and why you wanna go for turkey only?

Damn i have to post my reply twice because I couldn't figure out how to do it properly.

Hey, my first thought was to do the procedure in Poland, but after doing some research and following some people that had their procedures done in Poland I wasn't impressed with the result especially considering they'd spent crazy amount of money (like 8k euro). Then I found out about Turkey as a cheaper alternative and it just stuck with me. I haven't done any research about surgeons from Europe as I though that Turkey has the best of them all and that's why people call it the capital of hair transplants. And as i said previously, most of these doctors are world class (I believe) and I feel somewhat comfortable having my transplant done by one of them.

• Valued Contributor

@kurzyelooin turkey you can consult dr bicer , dr turan , dr yaman , dr pekiner...by the way Europe has some exceptional surgeons as well...if cost is the hazard than you can even consider dr kongkiat laorwong from thailand ...i just booked my ht with him...

--> My Thread

5 hours ago, Archan said:

@kurzyelooin turkey you can consult dr bicer , dr turan , dr yaman , dr pekiner...by the way Europe has some exceptional surgeons as well...if cost is the hazard than you can even consider dr kongkiat laorwong from thailand ...i just booked my ht with him...

I was aiming for about 2-2.5 (Still don't know why but Pekiner's work somehow speaks to me so I don't mind adding the 0.25 as from what I've read people recommending him more then Bicer) euro per graft, so I ruled out European surgeons thinking that any European country would be more expensive than Poland and that's why I stuck to Turkey. Btw are there any surgeons in Europe worth recommendation in that price range? Funny story about dr Kongkiat is that every day for like two weeks I was walking by his clinic in Bangkok while on vacation and was joking with my girlfriend that maybe I should go consult with him, only later I found out that he's actually a great surgeon. Also flights to Bangkok are pretty expensive and the price difference between Business/Economy Plus to Turkey vs Full Economy to BKK is like 500 euro, so I'd rather spend that on additional grafts than on a flight.

5 hours ago, Archan said:

Also if you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Dr kongkiat laorwong?

• Valued Contributor

@kurzyeloohe is a good surgeon and has produced good results ...i have seen around 100 results of him ..he has more thn a decade of experience in this field...see the fact is that a good surgeon can give you an ethical advice and would perform a surgery with his best expertise and knowledge and skills...but at the end it is a surgery and it also depends on how your body react to that and your donor hair quality and scalp health...no1 can guarantee 100% result...what we can do is to choose a good and genuine surgeon who has enough experience and has produced good results....

You should not just take ur decision based on location and price ....that will just narrow your options ...just look at the results of the surgeons recommended on this forum and thn compare their results and prices and than you can take your decision ...

Bdw whr r u from ?

--> My Thread

On 1/29/2023 at 10:59 PM, Archan said:

@kurzyeloohe is a good surgeon and has produced good results ...i have seen around 100 results of him ..he has more thn a decade of experience in this field...see the fact is that a good surgeon can give you an ethical advice and would perform a surgery with his best expertise and knowledge and skills...but at the end it is a surgery and it also depends on how your body react to that and your donor hair quality and scalp health...no1 can guarantee 100% result...what we can do is to choose a good and genuine surgeon who has enough experience and has produced good results....

You should not just take ur decision based on location and price ....that will just narrow your options ...just look at the results of the surgeons recommended on this forum and thn compare their results and prices and than you can take your decision ...

Bdw whr r u from ?

Yeah, you might be right, I was mainly focused on surgeons from Turkey. I'm from Poland so all of Europe is within my reach tbh. I also got a feeling that you're trying to somehow change my perspective on getting the procedure done by Pekiner, not to sound rude because I appreciate all the advice but is there anything that makes you somewhat skeptical or you're just trying to broaden my choices. Ngl I thought that Pekiner is one of if not the best one to get in that price point

• Valued Contributor

@kurzyelooy shud i wanna force u for pekiner whras i myself booked dr laorwong...not a logic..

And  there are many options other thn turkey which u cn consider like dr laorwong , dr Camacho ,dr nader who are all in tht price range 

--> My Thread

22 minutes ago, Archan said:

@kurzyelooy shud i wanna force u for pekiner whras i myself booked dr laorwong...not a logic..

And  there are many options other thn turkey which u cn consider like dr laorwong , dr Camacho ,dr nader who are all in tht price range 

You must have misunderstood me. I didn't mean that you're trying to force me for pekiner, but other round. I crossed all of the doctors you've mentioned as they're waaaay to far from me and the flight prices to Columbia/Thailand/Mexico are extremely expensive, which for me means tightening my budget to afford the flight

• Valued Contributor
Just now, kurzyeloo said:

You must have misunderstood me. I didn't mean that you're trying to force me for pekiner, but other round. I crossed all of the doctors you've mentioned as they're waaaay to far from me and the flight prices to Columbia/Thailand/Mexico are extremely expensive, which for me means tightening my budget to afford the flight

Yeh i thought tht exploring other options in same price braket wud be a wise thing to do bt as u sayin flights wud b costly Than again u are back whr u r ..in Turkey ....u have 3-4 options in turkey...so u cn compare them and thn take ur decision ...

--> My Thread

• Valued Contributor
10 minutes ago, kurzyeloo said:

And see my earlier post i said dnt make the location be a barrier thn u cn explore more options..i evn mentioned tht thr r many good doctors in ur price braket and u cn check out the recommended list...so whr do u found me advocating any particular surgeon..and yeh m nt offended by tht..m jst keeping my point 😊

--> My Thread