Why are my scabs so slow to go away? (by day 12 post-FUE)

(Day 12 post-op FUE)

So I've been looking around on other people's results, and I noticed that most people have had most of their scabs almost completely gone by day 10 post-op.
I'm on day 12 and this is what it looks like. I've washed my head seven times, two times per day on day 8 & day 9, and then once per day on day 10, 11, 12 as instructed by the clinic.

How come I still have so many scabs left? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bad thing?

I was told to increase the friction day after day when washing. I'm trying to be really gentle, but still I feel like I'm being pretty rough and I don't want to damage the new hairs/follicles. Any advice on how to get rid of the scabs?

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z4.jpg

Edited by Hashi

• Hashi changed the title to Why are my scabs so slow to go away? (by day 12 post-FUE)
14 hours ago, ray35 said:

I think the recommend method is to place some conditioner  on the the areas and let sit for 10 or 15 then scrub and wash off... should loosen up doing that.

Would any conditioner work or do I need something special to not hurt the newly transplanted hairs?

My doctor gave me a medicinal foam and instructed me to let it soak on my head for 15 mins before washing, in order to soften up the scabs. Then, during the wash, I'd massage with my finger-tips to get the scabs off. When i still had scabs on at day 12, they asked me to apply the foam for 15 mins post wash as well and massage a bit harder. That did the trick. If you have any doubts, please contact your doctor and they'll be able to instruct you on how to proceed. 

To set your mind at ease, at 12-13 days post op, your grafts are pretty secure, there's almost zero chance of you dislodging a graft by scrubbing. 

3 hours ago, StillAlive said:

My doctor gave me a medicinal foam and instructed me to let it soak on my head for 15 mins before washing, in order to soften up the scabs. Then, during the wash, I'd massage with my finger-tips to get the scabs off. When i still had scabs on at day 12, they asked me to apply the foam for 15 mins post wash as well and massage a bit harder. That did the trick. If you have any doubts, please contact your doctor and they'll be able to instruct you on how to proceed. 

To set your mind at ease, at 12-13 days post op, your grafts are pretty secure, there's almost zero chance of you dislodging a graft by scrubbing. 

Do you think I could also let the water hit the recipient area directly from the shower head? Like full force and everything? So far I've been avoiding that, just having the water run down from non-transplanted area to the transplanted area.

• Moderators

You are probably being too gentle. At this point you are not going to damage the grafts by washing of your hair, so don't be afraid to rub them a bit. As others have said, put some conditioner on the area and let it sit for a few minutes and then wash it out. You are at the time frame where the hairs will start shedding, so if you see hairs coming off with the scabs, don't worry. That's normal. Most of the transplanted hair will shed.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Hashi said:

Do you think I could also let the water hit the recipient area directly from the shower head? Like full force and everything? So far I've been avoiding that, just having the water run down from non-transplanted area to the transplanted area.

Yes. You are being too gentle. Shampoo your hair like you normally would, rubbing your fingers all through it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

5 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Yes. You are being too gentle. Shampoo your hair like you normally would, rubbing your fingers all through it.

Alright, gotcha. I'm probably worrying too much.. I'll start off with some conditioner and give it a shot. Thank you!