Hair length for initial photos to send to clinics

Hi guys,

When sending initial pictures to doctors how long does the hair need to be to give them an accurate representation of your current situation?

I shave my head to a 0.5 regularly and have read a few times that this will be far too short to give a accurate picture of my balding.

Is this true and if so how much will I need to let it grow?

Thanks!

@beak,

You don’t have to get a special haircut in order to send photos to a clinic for an initial assessment. Obviously, the shorter the hair the better because it’s easier to see the spacing in between  hair follicles and exactly how much hair loss the prospective  patient has experienced. However, during a video consult or in person consult, the surgeon/representative will comb through your hair for a more accurate representation of your available donor and the current balding/recipient area.

Everyone has a different opinion on the next part but in my opinion, the best photos to send to the clinic are photos of your hair as you would wear it naturally in and under natural lighting. Also it be better if you do not use a flash. For example, outside photos on a gray/dreary day would probably be ideal because you dont have to worry about the angle of the sunlight hitting your scalp, etc.  

But to be thorough, you could always take photos outside and inside, with and without flash.  Just make sure you label them even though they should be pretty obvious to the clinic.

Let me know if we can help you in anyway.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.