worried about oral minoxidil

i’m currently taking 15% min on my hairline and 5% everywhere else (including back) 2x a day and i’ve been doing this routine for about 6 months with no side effects. assuming some of the minoxidil goes systemic anyways, would adding 1.25mg oral min daily be fine, but stop applying topical min to the back of my head, and just the front and top be ok?

i dont want to stop using topical min as it is like a styler for my hair, but i ordered oral min when i did want to stop but i changed my mind and i already have it, so i thought i could just stop applying topical min to the back of my hair and that should even it out? and maybe get longer eyelashes and better eyebrows? im mainly just worried about heart stuff.

im 18 and pretty healthy, i have a slightly above normal blood pressure (stage 1) anyways so maybe oral min would help.

if i do it, i plan on starting at 0.625mg for 3 days and switching to 1.25mg, which would be the highest dose id do

Edited by demezz2

• Valued Contributor

I would definitely speak with your dermatologist about this. I’m sure you would be able to balance both the topical and oral doses. Perhaps you could find a suitable styling product in place of the topical minoxidil instead? Also how are you able to obtain 15% topical? All the best. 

7 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I would definitely speak with your dermatologist about this. I’m sure you would be able to balance both the topical and oral doses. Perhaps you could find a suitable styling product in place of the topical minoxidil instead? Also how are you able to obtain 15% topical? All the best. 

i’ve experimented w products tbh but i can’t find any that work. 15% min + 1mg fin from minoxidilmax, and i think speaking to a derm is a good idea but i’m lowkey too insecure about it to do it, ive been doing my best to monitor everything myself and have been taking my blood pressure for the past week in case i see a change if i start oral min. i still haven’t decided, i might try 0.25mg to test or something, i’m not sure 

13 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Ok. But how do you find 15% minoxidil? I’m only aware of 5% being available. From memory studies showed that more than 5% topical is no more efficacious. All the best. 

dualgen-15. yea i’ve heard of those studies aswell, i mainly just chose it bc it had finasteride and the 15% was an added benefit, whether or not its more effective than 5% didnt matter too much 

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, demezz2 said:

dualgen-15. yea i’ve heard of those studies aswell, i mainly just chose it bc it had finasteride and the 15% was an added benefit, whether or not its more effective than 5% didnt matter too much 

@demezz2 are you having to pay more money for 15% as opposed to 5%?