can you split oral minoxidil?

demezz2

1 hour ago, John1991 said:

Yes, cutting pills is a thing people do.  That said, 10mg cut in half is still 5mg, which is too high - especially to start.  You should cut it into quarters.

thanks! i will do this, and in the future, assuming i have no side effects, when should i increase the dosage?

4 hours ago, John1991 said:

I'm not a doctor man.  You should have a doctor advise you what the best starting dose is.  I'm on .625 mg and haven't noticed any sides.  I may increase to 1.25 mg in a few months depending on how things go.

thanks, appreciate it. yea atm i decided to stay off of it, until maybe ive gave finasteride and dutasteride a full try, and if im feeling desperate  

• Valued Contributor

@demezz2 I'm taking oral minoxidil. I'm buying 10mg tablets as it's cheaper this way and dividing the tablet into four quarters (ie, 4x2.5mg). Now from a pharmacist's point of view once you break open a coated tablet you are exposing the active drug and it can break down. But personally it's not something I'm worrying about and my dermatologist is fine too as he is the one prescribing the drug. All the best.

17 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@demezz2 I'm taking oral minoxidil. I'm buying 10mg tablets as it's cheaper this way and dividing the tablet into four quarters (ie, 4x2.5mg). Now from a pharmacist's point of view once you break open a coated tablet you are exposing the active drug and it can break down. But personally it's not something I'm worrying about and my dermatologist is fine too as he is the one prescribing the drug. All the best.

Are you from the UK and if so , how do i go about finding a dermatologist who prescribes oral minox ?