age, fue ur fut advice

Alright, Just wondered if any one could give me some advice really. Im 24 and have am fairy mild to moderate classic receding hairline which i would like to get changed. Have done allot of research and nearly got a procedure done with a clinic a few moths ago but didn't ( im glad i didn't now, big mistake ?? and ridiculous amount of grafts). First is it wise to get a procedure done at my age? I was thinking of fue with a clinic in London but am really impressed with Dr Rahals work however isn't fue better as it does not leave a scar? I was planning to get a fue procedure just too close the gaps and then in the future maybe get a fut done with Dr Rahal if I need it doing ( good plan?. I guess what I really need advice about is if I am taking a big gamble by getting something done. Any advice about the fue, fut or my age would be appreciated. Also does anybody know of new technology around the corner regarding hair transplants etc

Cheers

Cam

First and foremost, I would avoid having a HT if you do not really need one. And giving you any kind of advice would be easier if you posted some pics for us to review.

Closing temple points can be done with FUE with minimal scarring done by a top clinic, but there is scarring. As with any HT, once you go down the road of having one there is a high possibility of needing another HT in the future to fill in gaps where native hair was lost behind the transplanted grafts. Again, if you go the FUE route make sure you go to a reputable doctor, preferrably one referred to by this site as there is strong history of great results from these docs.

I had a HT with Rahal two months ago, but my level of loss was a NW4+ and needed strip give me proper coverage. I am also ten years older than you. The experience was great and now just waiting for my results. I just shaved down to a #3 clip and you can barely see the scar. I hope in a couple more months a #2 clip will be possible.

You are not taking a gamble by going to a top doc. Most of us who decide to go to one of the docs recommended on this site feel we have made an educated and knowledgeable choice with proven results.

Post some pics and many of the veteran posters here will give you some good advice. Also think about sending those pics for an online consult with some docs to get professional opinions.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

That clinic is actually a new one on me and there does not seem to be much about them in forums on here or other sites.

The after pics do look good but there isn't much on fully grown out patients, also there is no mention of any surgeon's names, which worries me.

Not saying they are bad choice m8 but the lack of info would ring alarm bells with me.

As for the age concern, I am 26 and just had my first transplant last month (well 26 days ago)

I started to recede at 16 and first looked into a transplant at 20 (thank god the clinic refused me out right)

I was classed as a nw3-nw3a, at time transplant.

My point is, go to a good clinic if they think you are a good candidate and you feel you need it, I'd go for it.

get on the big three meds first for a full year, propecia,minox and nizoral, in the interim, research fue docs and there results, as you narrow down who you want do online consults and ask for lists of fue patients they have done and speak with them. you are not a candidate for strip at this early age. get a complete blood profile also done including thyroid and make sure your healthy. research at least one year.

tommy

Tommy gave you a very good advice. I also would recommend to go on Propecia a full year before considering HT. Maybe FUE will be better then. But at this time, FUE is not a good method because:

-it provides unimpressive results (and those are best results cherry picked by the clinics to show you)

-more expensive

-much much less yield

-leave scars...yes there are scars even with FUE contrary to what some clinics claim. I have seen also numerous examples of almost undetectable strip scars.

Personally, i would consider FUE only once my scalp laxity is gone. That way, i can thin out the sides and the back so that the density can better match the density of front and top.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley