How to measure scalp elasticity?

Orangeade,

There was another similar topic posted about this not too long ago. In fact, I believe I posted a response yesterday.  To my knowledge, there’s no real way to quantify elasticity of the scalp although I did respond on the last topic stating that I would ask Dr. Rahal next time I talk to him for his input.

Obviously, scalp elasticity only applies to FUT and not FUE.  Is there a particular reason why you are considering FUT only?

For FUT however, you can do scalp exercises to loosen the skin and that will help to enable your surgeon to harvest a wider strip which will ultimately yield more grafts for transplanting.  As for exactly how many, this will depend. I don’t believe it’s gonna you’ll be significant amount of more but every little bit counts. Even if you can get a couple hundred more, that can provide more density in a particular area, etc.

But in terms of quantifying elasticity and how many additional grafts can be yielded specifically, I don’t know that there is such a device or method but I will talk to Dr. Rahal about that. While Dr. Rahal now only performs FUE which in my opinion, is necessary to perfect the FUE procedure, he used to perform FUT as well.  So if anybody knows, he will.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 minute ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Orangeade,

there was another similar topic posted about this not too long ago. In fact, I believe I posted a response yesterday.  To my knowledge, there’s no real way to quantify elasticity of the scalp although I did respond on the last topic stating that I would ask Dr. Rahal next time I talk to him for his input.

obviously, scalp elasticity only applies to FUT and not FUE.  Is there a particular reason why you are considering FUT only?

For FUT however, you can do scalp exercises to loosen the skin and that will help to enable your surgeon to harvest a wider strip which will ultimately yield more grafts for transplanting.  Ask for exactly how many, this will totally depend. I don’t believe it’s gonna you’ll be significant amount of more but every little bit counts. Even if you can get a couple hundred more, that can provide more density in a particular area, etc.

but in terms of quantifying elasticity and how many additional grafts can be yielded specifically, I  I don’t know that there is such a device or method but I will talk to Dr. Rahal about that. While Dr. Howell now only performs FUE which in my opinion, is necessary to perfect the FUE procedure, he used to perform FUT as well.  So if anybody knows, he will.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Hello Rahal Hair Transplant,

I'm interested in FUT primarily due to the results that I have seen with it, as well as cost as a factor.  I'm 31 years old, have been on finasteride since I was 24 and have had stable hair loss ever since.  I've been waiting to age before pulling the plug on a hair transplant.  I posted earlier in the week.  I've seen great FUT results come out of your clinic.  

Linked is another thread where I posted photos.  Would you mind taking a look and giving a recommendation?  

@Orangerade,

I just looked through the topic and viewed your photos. It is the hairline/front of the scalp the only place where you’re losing hair?

now, I haven’t seen pictures of your donor area nor have I seen photos of the rest of your scalp. But based on The photos, I imagine you’re only really concerned about the frontal area and restoring a natural looking hairline with some density behind it is that correct?  Are you still losing hair? How old are you? When did you start losing hair? Are you on any medication such as finasteride or minoxidil?  if so, how long have you been using them? If you stopped, how long ago was that?

At the end of the day, it’s totally your decision which donor harvesting technique you choose. However, you seem to be an excellent candidate for FUE hair transplant surgery.  

5 to 10 years ago, I would agree that i results via FUT were superior in that growth yield is higher. However, those surgeons fool have committed their practice to exclusive FUE have improved the procedure/technique substantially and as long as you choose the right surgeon, you can get results that rival or even exceed that of FUT.  that said, be careful because selecting the right surgeon is crucial to ensuring you get the results you want and deserve.  Today, there are a good number of excellent FUT doctors. But the number of excellent FUE surgeons whose results can rival or exceed that of FUE are much fewer.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

3 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Orangerade,

I just looked through the topic and viewed your photos. It is the hairline/front of the scalp the only place where you’re losing hair?

now, I haven’t seen pictures of your donor area nor have I seen photos of the rest of your scalp. But based on The photos, I imagine you’re only really concerned about the frontal area and restoring a natural looking hairline with some density behind it is that correct?  Are you still losing hair? How old are you? When did you start losing hair? Are you on any medication such as finasteride or minoxidil?  if so, how long have you been using them? If you stopped, how long ago was that?

At the end of the day, it’s totally your decision which donor harvesting technique you choose. However, you seem to be an excellent candidate for FUE hair transplant surgery.  

5 to 10 years ago, I would agree that i results via FUT were superior in that growth yield is higher. However, those surgeons fool have committed their practice to exclusive FUE have improved the procedure/technique substantially and as long as you choose the right surgeon, you can get results that rival or even exceed that of FUT.  that said, be careful because selecting the right surgeon is crucial to ensuring you get the results you want and deserve.  Today, there are a good number of excellent FUT doctors. But the number of excellent FUE surgeons whose results can rival or exceed that of FUE are much fewer.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks for looking through so quickly.  And correct - just the hairline/front of the scalp.  My goal is to lower/restore my hairline so that it frames my face better and reduces the size of my forehead.

I started losing hair at the age of 19.  I got on finasteride when I was 24 years old, and my hairline has essentially been the same since then.  I'm 31 years old now, so about 7 years of responding well to the medication and maintaining my hairline.

I've uploaded a picture of what the back of my head looks like - best I could do with being by myself but it's there.  Would you be able to provide an estimation or quote off of these photos?  

On my shortlist of surgeons I have:  Rahal, Konior, H&W, and Gabel.  

back.jpg