FUT or FUE? Norwood 5 and 35 Yrs Old

I'm 35 yrs old, Norwood 5, and have been told Im a good candidate for both FUE or FUT transplant options, and that I would need two procedures to cover the entire head. 

I'm confused since 3 doctors have said FUE and seemed to discourage FUT and 1 doctor advises FUT first over FUE.  For first procedure the FUE doctors have widely different graft recommendations- I have been quoted 2,000 grafts, 3,000 grafts, and 4,000 grafts.  The FUT doctor seems to think 3,000-3,500 grafts would be possible with first FUT procedure.

Looking for any guidance from the forum.  Should I be pursuing an FUT or an FUE procedure? Any advise as to the number of grafts for first procedure? I'm familiar with the differences of the surgery process, scarring, and recovery.

I'm looking to rebuild front hairline, create more density on top of head, and ultimately add to density on crown. I do not want to over exhaust donor area for any future procedure.

What would you be pursuing for first surgery? FUT or FUE?  

If it helps, I'm sharing photos.

IMG-1841.jpg

IMG-1842.jpg

side shot.png

Front shot.png

Not all doctors are created equal. Which doctor gave which advice?

You have to keep in mind financial incentives and sometimes doctors are only good at FUE or FUT, so they'll suggest the one they know best, which may not be best for you. At your hair length an FUT scar wouldn't be visible, but your pattern at NW5 might get you full coverage with FUE alone. In the end, FUT can yield you an extra 2 - 3k grafts according to some reputable doctors -- but whether the scar is worth it is another matter, especially if you like a shorter hair length. 

I think regardless of method (FUE or FUT) an initial surgery with 3k grafts sounds reasonable. I personally think mega sessions are risky, so 4k+ unless it's an elite and proven doctor, is something I'd avoid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Z-- said:

Not all doctors are created equal. Which doctor gave which advice?

You have to keep in mind financial incentives and sometimes doctors are only good at FUE or FUT, so they'll suggest the one they know best, which may not be best for you. At your hair length an FUT scar wouldn't be visible, but your pattern at NW5 might get you full coverage with FUE alone. In the end, FUT can yield you an extra 2 - 3k grafts according to some reputable doctors -- but whether the scar is worth it is another matter, especially if you like a shorter hair length. 

I think regardless of method (FUE or FUT) an initial surgery with 3k grafts sounds reasonable. I personally think mega sessions are risky, so 4k+ unless it's an elite and proven doctor, is something I'd avoid. 

Appreciate the feedback and advice!

Cafeguy,

in my opinion, you’re going to need a large number of grafts in order to achieve any real level of density and coverage. So 4000 grafts would be the absolute minimum in my opinion based on the photos I’m seeing.

Keep in mind that I’m not a doctor and this is not Dr. Rahal‘s assessment, this is just my opinion from years of experience as a patient and from being in the profession.   But 2000 or 3000 grafts just simply isn’t going to cut it unless you’re simply working on the frontal zone and and only a part of the mid scalp region.

Now regarding FUE versus FUT, in my opinion, in the right surgical hands, both FUT and FUE will yield optimal results comparable to one another. The question really becomes whether or not you have the available donor to achieve the kind of results that will make a real cosmetic difference.  From the photos, you appear to have a healthy donor area however your hair is a little longer on the sides of fact so it’s difficult to gauge density.

I don’t know who you’ve already consulted with, but if you’re interested In a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal to discuss your goals, concerns and come up with a short and long-term haha it restoration plan, feel free to send me a private message and I’ll be happy to set this up for you.  Perhaps such a session could clear up some of your questions and any confusion regarding the multiple varying estimates you’ve received, etc.  

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 8/30/2022 at 8:52 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Cafeguy,

in my opinion, you’re going to need a large number of grafts in order to achieve any real level of density and coverage. So 4000 grafts would be the absolute minimum in my opinion based on the photos I’m seeing.

Keep in mind that I’m not a doctor and this is not Dr. Rahal‘s assessment, this is just my opinion from years of experience as a patient and from being in the profession.   But 2000 or 3000 grafts just simply isn’t going to cut it unless you’re simply working on the frontal zone and and only a part of the mid scalp region.

Now regarding FUE versus FUT, in my opinion, in the right surgical hands, both FUT and FUE will yield optimal results comparable to one another. The question really becomes whether or not you have the available donor to achieve the kind of results that will make a real cosmetic difference.  From the photos, you appear to have a healthy donor area however your hair is a little longer on the sides of fact so it’s difficult to gauge density.

I don’t know who you’ve already consulted with, but if you’re interested In a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal to discuss your goals, concerns and come up with a short and long-term haha it restoration plan, feel free to send me a private message and I’ll be happy to set this up for you.  Perhaps such a session could clear up some of your questions and any confusion regarding the multiple varying estimates you’ve received, etc.  

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Appreciate the feedback!

All the quoted graft amounts were for a first procedure for hairline/front of head.  All have agreed I will need 2 procedures and that could be 4000-6000 grafts total.