Changes - From Topical Minoxidil to Oral Minoxidil, Add Dutasteride with Finasteride

jim1973

After expressing my concerns of persistent hair loss while on Finasteride and topical Rogaine with my dermatologist, he gave me a prescription for oral Minoxidil (1.25mg to start) and Dutasteride once or twice/week (he left the frequency preference up to me), while also prescribing 2% ketoconazole shampoo.  I've been shedding hair rapidly for the last 6 months prior to taking any of these new products and after 1 month, nothing has changed, still shedding alot.  I haven't discontinued the topical minoxidil yet only because I feel as though the 1.25mg oral dose is low.  Should I keep applying topical once/day until I move up to 2.5mg of oral Minoxidil or discontinue the topical immediately?  Regarding oral Minoxidil, he did mention that after 30-60-90 days, I likely would need the 2.5mg dose if I didn't notice any changes and didn't have side effects.  I'm curious what others experience has been on oral Min, good or bad and at what doses.  Regarding Dutasteride every 3 days, is it still recommended to continue taking Finasteride on the other days of the week that I don't take Dutasteride?  Or is the Dutasteride enough on its own where I should discontinue Finasteride all together?