Question about anesthesia...

Hi all,

I'm a brand new member to the group (this is my first post) and I have a question concerning the anesthesia/sedative used during HT procedures.

First off, I am strongly considering having a HT done, possibly as soon as late winter/early spring. The surgical office I am considering uses a medication called Versed to sedate patients during the procedure. I researched this drug online, and found that many people have had really bad experiences (side effects)with it. However, I was unable to find opinions of people who took it in connection with a HT surgery. The comments I found were related to other, more serious medical procedures.

So, I am basically just looking to hear others' experiences, whether good or bad, with this particular drug. Honestly,I am a little nervous to be put under, having never been given anesthesia for anything in my 40+ years. Any help you all could give me would be greatly appreciated...

Sorry for the long post!

There are several other oral sedatives that are used in hair restoration surgery. Many clinics choose not to use versed. You may want to speak with the doctor at the clinic you are considering and express your concerns and desire to have a different type of anesthesia used in your case.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Doctor. It looks like I need to find another clinic.

Also, in researching further, it appears that many states do not allow the use of Versed during the procedure because of the risks associated with it. So my concerns are justified, I suppose.

Thanks again for your input!

• 6 years later...
There are several other oral sedatives that are used in hair restoration surgery. Many clinics choose not to use versed. You may want to speak with the doctor at the clinic you are considering and express your concerns and desire to have a different type of anesthesia used in your case.

Hi Dr Charles do you fully sedate using other drug apart from Versed vbasically.

And could you Harvest and implant 4000 grafts in one session?????

in FUE i mean so i can be asleep once and have all grafts inputted instead of two sessions.

What sthe maximum time a patient is allowed to be sedated????

regards

Mo. Ismail

If you get a ride to the clinic I can heavily sedate you with oral medications. It is very difficult to get more than 3000 FU's using the ARTAS FUE device. The truth is that often we can do much larger graft numbers with FUT procedures in a single day. There is no maximum time for oral sedation. Only limits with IV or general anesthesia.