ht=skin infection+cancer

hi everyone.i met a trichologist today and he told me that some ht if went wrong can lead to severe skin infections and ultimately to skin cancer.he also told me that lot of side effects can occur if ht is not done carefully and since the surgery is performed on your scalp so the danger of skin infection is very sure.i am so confused and nervous.his name is dr mr yadav mumbai and he also said that if someone is thinning then ht can be performed as you require a total bald area for a ht...relpy

bllorayne,

Infection is a real risk of any surgery, but going to a proven surgeon will significantly reduce this risk. I can't say I've heard of one case of anyone with a hair transplant getting related skin cancer.

Hair can be transplanted in between and around existing natural hair. The area does not have to be completely bald to do a hair transplant.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hair transplantation does not lead to skin cancers. However skin cancers do occur on the scalp. This is a subjective that I lecture on at Hair restoratio meetings. A physician must be careful to properly examine the scalp to assure there is no evidence of skin cancer on the scalp prior to hair transplantation. Skin cancers can occur in the donor area as well and may appear like eczema or a rash that never heals. I would assume most astute physicians would stop before taking a donor strip from this area. If you transplant from a donor strip that has cancerous tissue, it is possible you could spread it to the recipient area. Keep in mind I said possible. I have not ever heard of a case like this happening. Infections are very rare, however they can occur on occasions. MRSA is becooming more wide spread and has documented previously.