Transplant in scarred area

Had a FUE back in Sept of last year. Unfortunately had a small area that scarred and grafts didn’t take. The area appears to have scarred and atrophied. Can I get a repair surgery there (like 50 grafts) or is it not a good idea?

I thought I read somewhere that hairs can be implanted to specifically soften scar tissue and restore skin function.

This small study from 2014 suggests that 65-95% of FUE grafts can survive in scar tissue:

https://www.pulsus.com/scholarly-articles/follicular-unit-transplantation-for-the-treatment-of-secondary-cicatricial-alopecia.pdf

(it's a small study and some of the patients had beard/eyebrow grafts rather than scalp)

Edited by ablurker
  • Like 1

Nycshearling,

Unfortunately, grafts sometimes have a more difficult time growing in scar tissue. Are you saying that none of the transplanted hair grew in the scarred area or did at least some of them grow? Can you present any photos showing your results both in regular tissue and scar tissue?

you can always call back For a repair in the scarred area however, if they didn’t grow the first time they very likely may not grow the second time. I’m not sure how bad the scoring is but the tissue mean I’ll be healthy enough to support hair growth.

I suggest speaking to your surgeon about this.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.