Should I at all go through HT?

Hi,

I'm a 31 Male, balding in my crown and my hairline is slowly receding. I have a lower density in all of my "top" parts (from crown to forehead). I'm interested in a hair transplant but don't feel I MUST get it. it depends on several variables.

Assuming eventually most of my "top" part will fall off, can a hair transplant create a nice look without taking medications? as I'm not willing to take these, at least not those in the market right now. If possible, how many HTs will be needed (from good surgeons and not scams)?

If to contain a nice looking hair I must pay a fortune + take meds, I guess I would rather go bald. :) What would you advice?

depend on your baldness level? but if you say you're balding in the crown, it should be pretty high norwood unless you're at 3A max.

HT can give you the looks you want, the problem is if they will stay there or go away because you don't take meds.

• Like 1

What's a fortune to you? What do you consider looking nice?

If you're a diffuse thinner heading to a Norwood 5+, you just need to be reasonable about expectations. Transplant can still look really good, but you'll need to probably do 2+ (usually 3) at a minimum, using from every source you have (beard, chest, etc.). You might also have to accept that you'll get less coverage in places like the crown. Are you willing to try and use FUT to maximize your lifetime grafts?

Say the minimum for a very a good surgeon is $3 a graft (I'm low-balling here). Say you can get 6,000 grafts from your donor leaving aside beard/chest. That's a minimum of $18,000 investment, leaving aside flight costs and the like. You might need more and the per graft amount might be higher, but you get the point. I don't want to estimate costs because it varies from doctor to doctor, but for a decent result from a place that isn't a scam, you'll need to save like what you would a nice car.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mafpe said:

depend on your baldness level? but if you say you're balding in the crown, it should be pretty high norwood unless you're at 3A max.

HT can give you the looks you want, the problem is if they will stay there or go away because you don't take meds.

I'd say im more like on stage 2 in the front and 3 vertex in the crown; as these are presented in this picture.

https://www.venustreatments.com/news/Norwood Scale Illustration.png

@Twildman I believe that we share a similar philosophy. I'm also low-maintenance and not looking to take meds. I've hit NW4 at 40 and I'll be getting my first HT in Turkey soon in order to restore my hairline and midscalp. I fully expect to need another procedure to fill in the crown at around 50 but that prospect does not bother me too much. For me it's about framing my face properly so that I can recognize the dude in the mirror again, I don't mind having a bald crown as long as I look alright in regular pictures :D 

Check out the forum's recommendations for surgeons in Turkey, even three procedures will cost you less than what a single one in Spain or Switzerland would. (Roughly 3.5K for each) As long as you keep your expectations in check and do your research, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to obtain great results. You are quite young still, so if it's not burning a hole in your head -excuse the pun- I recommend waiting until after 35, at which point you'll have a clearer picture of your final NW and operations needed. 

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Twildman said:

If to contain a nice looking hair I must pay a fortune + take meds, I guess I would rather go bald. :) What would you advice?

If you have the slightest doubt about surgery that is permanent then don't get a hair transplant. It is a last resort when medication, etc has been exhausted. All the best.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

If you have the slightest doubt about surgery that is permanent then don't get a hair transplant. It is a last resort when medication, etc has been exhausted. All the best.

I 100% second what Gatsby said  

Surgery is the very last resort. 

The best advice I can give you is NEVER GET A HAIR TRANSPLANT if you have the slightest doubt about it

A poor hair transplant can completely ruin your existence

Edited by HAIRLOSS IS MY LIFE
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@TwildmanWhatever you do be wary of places like low cost mills (many in Turkey but they exist everywhere) especially when they are just charging a total low fee for a hair transplant. There are only like 3 doctors max worth visiting in Turkey and even then, the slight cost savings aren’t worth the results which can be achieved in Spain.

If you a losing in your Vertex AND front you NEED doctor involvement and meticulous planning. Untrained technicians and nurses won’t cut it. If you’re thinking about going to a low cost mill and gambling away your donor to achieve a see through hairline, you’re 99% of the time better off just shaving it. At least being bald looks natural and is easy to pull off. A botch job isn’t. Once ruined it’s an expensive pain in the rear to fix. 

i think you are making the right choice to forgo a transplant for now (and perhaps in future). Don’t be fooled by low costs. 

Edited by Z--
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Gatsby said:

this so much. 

Not just with hair transplants, but with any elective cosmetic procedure, if you can genuinely and sincerely live without it, why expose yourself to so much risk, stress, cost, etc. 

Live your life au naturel and never look back.

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1