Quitting Minoxidil (and maybe restarting?)

mister_25

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for about four months as I have a HT coming up later this year.

My surgeon has told me to quit minoxidil before my procedure (by atleast 6 weeks) and I wanted to ask how should I go about it. Should I cold turkey it? Or should I progressively use lower and lower dosages until I stop using it. Is it also possible for the terminal hairs I've strengthened from minoxidil to be "held on" by finasteride. I've been using Finasteride without issue for 16 months and Minoxidil for 15 months. I've seen decent regrowth (Very Thin Midscalp to a 'Illusion' of density on the midscalp, and a small tuft of hair on my frontal)

I also wanted to ask that presuming you have halted your hair-loss with Finasteride, and you've quit Minoxidil for a surgery, and then restart shortly after. Would you be able to get to your previous gains of Minoxidil? Or is that gone for good?

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Great question! I look forward to the answers to this as my operation is fast approaching. I too plan on taking this approach and may possibly switch to oral Minoxidil post surgery for ease of use. I have yet to research oral Min fully, but would appreciate it if you could answer this question along with @mister_25's questions above:

Are there any issues documented here with patients switching to oral min from foam or drops?

Popping a Fin and Min pill per day sounds like the way to go!

13 hours ago, mister_25 said:

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for about four months as I have a HT coming up later this year.

My surgeon has told me to quit minoxidil before my procedure (by atleast 6 weeks) and I wanted to ask how should I go about it. Should I cold turkey it? Or should I progressively use lower and lower dosages until I stop using it. Is it also possible for the terminal hairs I've strengthened from minoxidil to be "held on" by finasteride. I've been using Finasteride without issue for 16 months and Minoxidil for 15 months. I've seen decent regrowth (Very Thin Midscalp to a 'Illusion' of density on the midscalp, and a small tuft of hair on my frontal)

I also wanted to ask that presuming you have halted your hair-loss with Finasteride, and you've quit Minoxidil for a surgery, and then restart shortly after. Would you be able to get to your previous gains of Minoxidil? Or is that gone for good?

Minoxidil increases blood supply on the scalp and hence there can be more oozing of blood if it is used prior to the procedure. If you stop it at least 6 weeks prior to the procedure then it is advisable. The results of Minoxidil will degenerate within a month or so after stopping it's use. However, you can again start using Minoxidil after around a month of your procedure or as according to your doctor's advice.

I'm assuming this is H&W? They'll likely dense pack quite heavily so if you lose a small amount in total there should still be good density, though nothing with hair restoration is EVER guaranteed. You also might get an effluvium but like hair transplant recovery, that's a waiting game anyway