Some questions for those of you experienced HT patients

I have a few questions, what are some things that were never explained that you experienced? (helpful tips you can give)

Some guideline questions...

- How soon did the numbing medications last

- Does your head still feel numb after your procedure. How long did it take for it to go away?

- When did you begin working out? Is there a specific amount of time you should avoid working out?

- If you had it during the summer how did you cover your head from the sun?

- Winter-- does your scalp get excessively dry?

- Is sleeping the hardest part of the HT?

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1) Beyond the numbing from the lidocaine during surgery, I can't say numbness was a post op symptom of mine

2) Nope

3) With FUT you can really screw things up if you work out too soon. Find out a definitive date from your doc and stick to it. FUE is more subjective, I would say 2 weeks or so post op. I would really still just take it easy....

4) Wear a hat. Stay indoors if you can. You really should avoid a sunburn on the recipient area up to 6 months after surgery

5) I have not noticed scalp dryness being a post op symptom

6) YES, sleeping has definitely been the hardest part for me! If your doctor gives you saline spray and says you are supposed to use it every 2-3 hours or so till its gone and you stick to that plan, you are not going to be sleeping much...

Even if you don't use round the clock saline spray, you must sleep on your back for the first few days after. You seriously need to take care to not bump or scratch the grafts. 

If your scalp is itchy and/or any number of post-op physical or psychological symptoms, these can all cause lack of sleep. 

I have had 3 HTs thus far and for each one I was pretty sleep deprived for the 1st week after. 

If you have a HT upcoming, plan on it being like a mini-bootcamp of sorts. You are going to be sleep-deprived, your going to be uncomfortable (even with the drugs), its not really what I'd call a fun time..... You just have to role with all the baggage and drama at it all and remember the reward is well worth the week or so of feeling uncomfortable. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Vann said:

I have a few questions, what are some things that were never explained that you experienced? (helpful tips you can give)

Some guideline questions...

- Does your head still feel numb after your procedure. How long did it take for it to go away?

- When did you begin working out? Is there a specific amount of time you should avoid working out?

- Is sleeping the hardest part of the HT?

The numbing effects will last for at least a month or a month and a half. The anesthesia and its effects will last for only 9 to 10 hours. When the slits are made and the grafts are extracted, the superficial nerve endings are damaged. It takes at least a month or a month and a half approximately for them to regenerate.

You should avoid working out for at least a week after the procedure.

You can wear a surgical cap.

No. If it does then you can use a hair protein cream or a serum.

• Thanks 2