Want an FUE on my hairline in London . PICS included

What Gatsby said perfectly. Anyone doctor who would agree surgery on you should be struck off. That said, most of Harley Street would.

Your hair looks awesome. What you are experience seems more like a natural maturation of your hairline which is not the same as MPB.

The reason I would not dream of it is because I was you (but worse) and now I'm you in 12 years.  Hair transplantation is filled with risks in both the short, but especially the long term. 

Everything in life is about risk reward. In your case the risk is high and I see practicly zero reward.

If you want to change your appearance, go running, workout more & smile more often.

You are good dude.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Surfarosa said:

What Gatsby said perfectly. Anyone doctor who would agree surgery on you should be struck off. That said, most of Harley Street would.

Your hair looks awesome. What you are experience seems more like a natural maturation of your hairline which is not the same as MPB.

The reason I would not dream of it is because I was you (but worse) and now I'm you in 12 years.  Hair transplantation is filled with risks in both the short, but especially the long term. 

Everything in life is about risk reward. In your case the risk is high and I see practicly zero reward.

If you want to change your appearance, go running, workout more & smile more often.

You are good dude.

Great advice 👍🏽 It’s the risk bs reward here, yes you “could” have a transplant, but it will in no way match your natural density. It will just be a illusion of hair, and unless it was done by a top Dr (not Uk) you would risk it looking possibly worse. 

• Like 2

Hair transplants are an elective procedure and therefore people may undergo it for different reasons.

Usually its to treat androgenic alopecia which is the leading cause of male hair loss but some people may do it for more aesthetic reasons. 

Imo, i've seen members with little to no hair loss choose to do this because they wanted a better aesthetic look where they reduced their forehead etc. 

You just need to be incredibly informed about the potential pitfalls of front loading the hairline in cause male pattern hair loss strikes you later. You also imo should take into account if you actually could lower your hairline where you want to if that's the goal because the Frontalis muscles in your forehead can be a limiting factor. 

One final thing i think is that if you are happy with the hairline where it is, and just concerned about the density in the temporal areas. I'm sure you could get a "fill in" type of procedure via FUE. It does seem like from your post itself it's just the corners you want to address and not dropping the hairline lower. I know people say your hair looks great but if it did bother you that much, you could go for it but you need to be aware of the potential pitfalls of shock loss causing hair to permanently go in that area etc. too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Hair transplants are an elective procedure and therefore people may undergo it for different reasons.

Usually its to treat androgenic alopecia which is the leading cause of male hair loss but some people may do it for more aesthetic reasons. 

Imo, i've seen members with little to no hair loss choose to do this because they wanted a better aesthetic look where they reduced their forehead etc. 

You just need to be incredibly informed about the potential pitfalls of front loading the hairline in cause male pattern hair loss strikes you later. You also imo should take into account if you actually could lower your hairline where you want to if that's the goal because the Frontalis muscles in your forehead can be a limiting factor. 

One final thing i think is that if you are happy with the hairline where it is, and just concerned about the density in the temporal areas. I'm sure you could get a "fill in" type of procedure via FUE. It does seem like from your post itself it's just the corners you want to address and not dropping the hairline lower. I know people say your hair looks great but if it did bother you that much, you could go for it but you need to be aware of the potential pitfalls of shock loss causing hair to permanently go in that area etc. too. 

Let me just expand on the last part of what NARMAK just said, "you could go for it but you need to be aware of the potential pitfalls of shock loss causing hair to permanently go in that area etc. too"

Because you have so much hair, you risk hurting the hair around the ones that get implanted. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that you could end up with less origional hair after you are done.

Thats the potential risk.

The potential reward is that you get added density that only you can notice because its only you that looks in the mirror and sees only a hairline looking back.

1 minute ago, Ad1987 said:

Gosh , thanks everyone . I feel stupidly naive - I didn’t realise there were such risks attached to a ht!

It’s ok, this is the best place to come to learn 👍🏽 Spend time looking through the forum it’s a pretty good place 😉

Just now, Surfarosa said:

At least you are learning about the risks now vs. when its too late 👍

Exactly, all too often people arrive here after they have gone ahead and got a procedure done.. or they come here and don’t listen to the advice.. 

Hi All

so this is my crown in daylight today with after I’ve worked out, not washed and styled it today … does this look like crown balding and thinning ?

in the next post I will post pics of the crown in the same lighting at the same time today after I styled it to go in the direction of my perceived whorl .

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated 

F870A5A8-8F71-4045-A594-CA39A4D6B72D.jpeg

22DF4DDA-3473-44A0-8914-9365C3819140.jpeg

B3F96B48-249D-45E4-963F-2D712E2BB2D8.jpeg

BCC7FEC0-4E8A-427D-825B-1AB4AAD779A4.jpeg

The same lighting and pictures taken straight after the ones above but I’d quickly put my hand through and style the hair in direction of the whorl …

surely if I wasn’t balding though , even  when not washed , styled and after a work out the crown wouldn’t be that revealed like in the pics above ?

2113B420-A587-408D-82E5-1DE1A9762A5B.jpeg

215614DF-9849-45BB-B308-ACE76776A81A.jpeg

C2A0CDB7-9D87-457B-A509-F7EA792ABBC0.jpeg

Edited by Ad1987

58 minutes ago, Ad1987 said:

The same lighting and pictures taken straight after the ones above but I’d quickly put my hand through and style the hair in direction of the whorl …

surely if I wasn’t balding though , even  when not washed , styled and after a work out the crown wouldn’t be that revealed like in the pics above ?

2113B420-A587-408D-82E5-1DE1A9762A5B.jpeg

215614DF-9849-45BB-B308-ACE76776A81A.jpeg

C2A0CDB7-9D87-457B-A509-F7EA792ABBC0.jpeg

The "whorl" pattern is such that the hair sits much different like in a 360 degree design and this is what makes that area sometimes look thinner. It's actually an annoying quirk naturally that you can even see in kids without any hair loss. 

I personally have it myself but i do think i also have some thinning in that area and hopefully the Dutasteride i am taking atm will thicken it up as i have seen shown in some studies of Finasteride over like a 10 year period. 

It literally can be like a cat and mouse game with hair loss or a complete Turtle and the Hare style marathon. 

For people with significant hair loss who are looking to get coverage over much of or their entire scalp, density will never be restored to what it was prior to their loss - hence the "illusion of density" phrase you hear.  For someone like yourself with minimal loss who really just wants a denser hairline that's minimally lower, you can achieve comparable density to what you have, but you do have a very good head of hair as is. If you don't go somewhere where the hairline is packed very densely, you'll likely end up looking worse.  If you get it packed densely at like 55-60 grafts/cm2, you'll probably end up with a hairline that's slightly denser or as dense as it currently is - except slightly crisper/lower.  My guess would be roughly 2000 grafts could get the job done.  Your crown is fine.

Edited by John1991

That picture is the opposite of the nightmare everyone worries about.  Most are worried that if you lower the hairline you'll end up with a hairline and loss behind it.  Yours is the opposite - you have hair behind a disappeared hairline.

Edited by John1991

1 minute ago, John1991 said:

That picture is the opposite of the nightmare everywhere worries about.  Most are worried that if you lower the hairline you'll end up with a hairline and loss behind it.  Yours is the opposite - you have hair behind a disappeared hairline.

That hair in the front is all transplant.

1 minute ago, Surfarosa said:

That hair in the front is all transplant.

Right.  Then apparently it wasn't taken from the safe zone because it's evaporating.  Not sure of any other explanation.

Edited by John1991

Just now, John1991 said:

Right.  Then apparently it wasn't taken from the safe zone because it's evaporating.

When I had it done, the hairline was up against hair, the hair that is "evaporating" is what happens when you lose more hair as you age.

Based on that, I'm guessing that the transplant was more or less grafts sprinkled in with your native hairline to add density, but not really lower?  Then with the non transplanted area disappeared you were left with this?  It seems this (but not other potential pitfalls) could be avoided by having an entire part of purely transplanted grafts in the anterior most point in the transplant - then any loss would simply be behind it. 

Edited by John1991

Just now, John1991 said:

Based on that, I'm guessing that the transplant was more or less grafts sprinkled in with your native hairline to add density, but not really lower?  Then with the non transplanted area disappeared you were left with this?

Correct. Sprinkled was 3000 grafts over 3 proceedures. That's why am warning you guys about seeking perfection in your hairline when you are still looking great ...

I have made the picture look HARSH because that's how we judge ourselves ...

With a bit of styling on that same day it's more like ...

With favorable lighting this would look totally fine.

B7117022-313F-4EED-A7C9-56050935C00E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.97752491936dafb028ebb0bcb294d8b1.jpeg

Well the issue you presented could be avoided simply by recreating a new, slightly lower hairline rather than sprinkling grafts into the existing one.  Then any loss behind it is at least not in the front as was shown in your earlier picture.  You're right to caution people against being too aggressive, but if he's 35 with hair like that and thinking about a transplant to the point of posting on here, I feel it's worthwhile to let him know it's possible for him to get the results he desires, but only in the hands of the right doctor.  

48 minutes ago, John1991 said:

For people with significant hair loss who are looking to get coverage over much of or their entire scalp, density will never be restored to what it was prior to their loss - hence the "illusion of density" phrase you hear.  For someone like yourself with minimal loss who really just wants a denser hairline that's minimally lower, you can achieve comparable density to what you have, but you do have a very good head of hair as is. If you don't go somewhere where the hairline is packed very densely, you'll likely end up looking worse.  If you get it packed densely at like 55-60 grafts/cm2, you'll probably end up with a hairline that's slightly denser or as dense as it currently is - except slightly crisper/lower.  My guess would be roughly 2000 grafts could get the job done.  Your crown is fine.

This is really useful , thanks .

What posters have noted about the shock loss and things looking potentially worse does concern me somewhat I can’t lie . Also the mention of the hairline containing to recede with age and a gap between the further recession and superficial hairline - all scary stuff ! Ha

44 minutes ago, Surfarosa said:

And here is what that looks like in 12 years. Exciting huh?

00CD7589-1A25-4EE8-8D31-C6EF8F38EDE1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c57b48d9af06f262c8ed4d50607c0075.jpeg

This doesn’t look too worrying as I had imagined …  Looks like a dense head of hair but just finer hair on front …I wouldn’t know there was transplant involved there .

can I ask , did you take the plunge initially at 35 and then this pic is 12 years down the line ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ad1987 said:

This is really useful , thanks .

What posters have noted about the shock loss and things looking potentially worse does concern me somewhat I can’t lie . Also the mention of the hairline containing to recede with age and a gap between the further recession and superficial hairline - all scary stuff ! Ha

It's moreso about making an informed decision imo than scaring you away lol. 

As a person who looks Norwood 1 aka a normal mature hairline broaching maybe signs of a Norwood 2 around the temples, you can afford to try be more aggressive in your hairline goals than say somebody that's a Norwood 4 and beyond. 

I would argue the real stop point is anybody who is maybe Norwood 2.5ish when you think of front loading a hairline and you should be in your 30s and beyond with very slow hair loss progression and/or been stable on medication for a good while. 

I don't personally like the idea of guys having to wait till like their late 40s etc. to go for a hair transplant and be more aggressive with it. You then look like a man fully in "Midlife Crisis" mode lmao. 

I think Mid 20s to Mid 30s are probably the prime years for a guy and your individual situation of hair loss needs to be very stable. Particularly if younger than 30. Ideally in your early 20s being on medication and losing little to bo ground. By the time you hit 25 you could hopefully prove you're a good candidate. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ad1987 said:

This doesn’t look too worrying as I had imagined …  Looks like a dense head of hair but just finer hair on front …I wouldn’t know there was transplant involved there .

can I ask , did you take the plunge initially at 35 and then this pic is 12 years down the line ? 

I took the plunge at 29 (2003) - small proceedure in the temples - 500 grafts. I had another in 2006 and again in 2008 - total is 3,200 grafts.