advice needed 24m

Charlie

11 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Yes I did and my argument stands. 

The process is simple, once you see that you have MPB you start medication and if you find side effects you stop it, its as simple as it is. 

Having MPB at an early age and plan to take it later only increases the risk of being it too late once you start having real trouble to the point you cant even style your hair appropriately while going outside. You would rather start early than late, especially considering that the majority of people does respond well to the medication and barely has any issues while taking it. 

The only reason I find advisable to delay starting is if you still havent matured or havent finished puberty, other than that there arent any good reasons to the point I can recommend people not try it.

I have MPB since age 23 and I have been doing very well without Fin. I am on PRP since 4 years and my hair is stable, There is not just black and white and you should be more open minded. There are different forms MPB (light aggressive) and the same goes for hair loss prevention therapies. Wherever one can avoid Fin I advise to avoid..

Here in this case as I said, this poster has only very slight temple recession and Fin does not work in lot of cases for temples recession.  

Edited by Mike10

4 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

I have MPB since age 23 and I have been doing very well without Fin. I am on PRP since 4 years and my hair is stable, There is not just black and white and you should be more open minded. There are different forms MPB (light aggressive) and the same goes for hair loss prevention therapies. Wherever one can avoid Fin I advise to avoid..

Here in this case as I said, this poster has only very slight temple recession and Fin does not work in lot of cases for temples recession.  

Again, you are going under the simple assumption that OP wont recede further without medication. That "light aggressive" form of MPB that you describe could very well get more aggressive by day without OP even noticing that by itself is a risk that he has to be willing to run in case he gives up on his medication. 

PRP is a good therapy but the evidence for countering hair loss is not as significant as for Finasteride and Minoxidil. I would say best case scenario its a superior therapy to Microneedling.

And that last statement is also false, Finasteride works in every single place where there is hair, just like Minoxidil and it works to prevent further loss of hair better than regrowing but its effects are universal within the hairline.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Again, you are going under the simple assumption that OP wont recede further without medication. That "light aggressive" form of MPB that you describe could very well get more aggressive by day without OP even noticing that by itself is a risk that he has to be willing to run in case he gives up on his medication. 

PRP is a good therapy but the evidence for countering hair loss is not as significant as for Finasteride and Minoxidil. I would say best case scenario its a superior therapy to Microneedling.

And that last statement is also false, Finasteride works in every single place where there is hair, just like Minoxidil and it works to prevent further loss of hair better than regrowing but its effects are universal within the hairline.

This guy only has mild MPB. If he really wants to do something he should do a light therapy (laser cap, prp, minox). I do not recemmend Fin in his case for the reasons I mentioned.

I think youre spreading misinformation about how finasteride works. Finasteride works on the hormonal level with 5 alpha reductase which inhibits DHT. This helps the follices which are sensitive to dht. There is no specific placement for which dht will affect regions of hair. PRP, minox, laser light therapy are temporary just like finasteride. However, all of the products will take time to yield any effect.

However, the main cause of hair loss is testosterone which gets converted to DHT and the only drug, mentioned in the discussion, that can "safely" reduce DHT was finasteride. Finasteride can block nearly 70% of DHT production in the body. There are other drugs like dutasteride which block futher DHT on the 5 alpha reductase at a lower dosage but can inhibit other side effects sooner. But even those are minimal compared to the large amount of people taking it.

I think if you do not understand the way the drugs work I think you should not misinform someone about whether they should not take it but give them the resources to look up the drugs.

Here is a list that the forum uses for consultations and doctor recommendations. You can get a free consultation online and see what they recommend if you were to choose a hair transplant or wanted advice. Personally, I agree with the others that it is a smart choice to hold off any any surgical procedures, but perhaps start with your local dermatologist and get some lab work tested to see if there is anything environmental causing you to lose hair. 

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons?sr=HRN-MOB

Edit: There could also be auto immune issues (dupa, alopecia, ANA, etc.) that may cause hair loss... although it is rare it could always manifest itself in different ways slowly.

Edited by Vann
  • Like 2

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

I’ve checked around my hairline this week and I think I’m getting some regrowth from oral minox, shedding has slowed down also. Hopefully at 6 months I’ll have something noticeable 

1 hour ago, Vann said:

I think youre spreading misinformation about how finasteride works. Finasteride works on the hormonal level with 5 alpha reductase which inhibits DHT. This helps the follices which are sensitive to dht. There is no specific placement for which dht will affect regions of hair. PRP, minox, laser light therapy are temporary just like finasteride. However, all of the products will take time to yield any effect.

However, the main cause of hair loss is testosterone which gets converted to DHT and the only drug, mentioned in the discussion, that can "safely" reduce DHT was finasteride. Finasteride can block nearly 70% of DHT production in the body. There are other drugs like dutasteride which block futher DHT on the 5 alpha reductase at a lower dosage but can inhibit other side effects sooner. But even those are minimal compared to the large amount of people taking it.

I think if you do not understand the way the drugs work I think you should not misinform someone about whether they should not take it but give them the resources to look up the drugs.

Here is a list that the forum uses for consultations and doctor recommendations. You can get a free consultation online and see what they recommend if you were to choose a hair transplant or wanted advice. Personally, I agree with the others that it is a smart choice to hold off any any surgical procedures, but perhaps start with your local dermatologist and get some lab work tested to see if there is anything environmental causing you to lose hair. 

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons?sr=HRN-MOB

Edit: There could also be auto immune issues (dupa, alopecia, ANA, etc.) that may cause hair loss... although it is rare it could always manifest itself in different ways slowly.

No you are the one who is misinformed! There is no study which proves that Fin works in the temples region. 

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I’ve checked around my hairline this week and I think I’m getting some regrowth from oral minox, shedding has slowed down also. Hopefully at 6 months I’ll have something noticeable 

Just to let you know some of these drugs you take may have a “shedding” period because you may have more hairs go into the ‘resting’ cycle. So it may seem like it is not working but around 6-15 months. You’ll see more hairs, thicker, some not as dense, but overall you should experience less hair falling out to mpb. 

Since you have taken finasteride for more than 3-6 months you should start to see some stronger (denser/thicker) hairs since you are reaching your 12 month mark. 

Assuming you take a minimum of 1mg daily (7mg weekly if you have no issues) consistently for 365 days you should be in the majority of people who begin to stabilize their hair loss and maintain any further loss. With the addition of oral minox, you may even see some hair regrow a bit sooner. 

if you haven’t tried derma rolling/micro needling you maybe even see some vellus hairs return

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Finasteride arrests hairfall all over. However, it has been noticed in a few cases that the results of Finasteride in the crown are much better. Do checkout the temple recreation @Eugenix Hair Sciences in the link below.

On 3/22/2022 at 1:06 AM, Mike10 said:

Because Fina has sides and you basiscally have a full head of hair. Finansteride works best in the middle and the crown. in a lot of cases  it does not even work for temples recession. 

And based on my experience. Temples started to recede at age 23. At 40 I still only have temples recession, like NW2,5. And I never took Fin

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, Charlie said:

hi my name is Charlie and im 24, I’d say my hair loss started when I was 18/19. I’d consider myself a nw2.5/3, been thinking about a transplant to fix my hairline for the past couple years and looking to book one in for Jan 2023. I’d appreciate any advice for drs and clinics in the UK as I don’t want to travel abroad for the procedure.

I’ve been on finasteride for 10 months and in the that time I think my hair loss has stabilised as I don’t have much hair fall. Recently started oral minoxidil and currently 2 months in with no regrowth as of yet.

one clinic I have come across is HQ transplant in Cardiff with dr Milin, they seem to be a fairly new clinic with some good results on their Instagram page. The clinic is run by a former all black rugby player (Xavier rush). 

Family history

my dad is 55 with a receding hairline (nw3) with some slight thinning on the crown, but overall a decent head of hair for his age.

my maternal grandfather was a nw3/3a? At 60ish (pic included). He was a high Norwood in his late years (80+) with just his forelock remaining.

478E9795-F35C-4D08-94AE-E048EBD01A55.jpeg

9E3EBF6E-5B5F-4701-9841-B0E20C966041.jpeg

639FD373-F40B-4219-BC29-A6D77FB37254.jpeg

4E199F3E-8E2C-4C83-9B4D-67AD507AB3BC.jpeg

D4602F25-AF86-48BD-B24B-3301C3A16030.jpeg

Don’t go to HQ. Charge very similarly to Dr Ball but won’t offer you alternative course of action that could regrow hair first and negate the need for ever having a transplant! If you’re really concerned you could go for 1mg fin daily, 0.5 dutasteride once per week, monoxidil, derma rolling & PRP - all still significantly cheaper than HT. Whilst some of the aforementioned may not work, chances are you will get some regrowth if diligent. Additionally, have you ever thought about a change in hairstyle? Yours looks great as it is, but if you are keeping it like that to hide your tiny receding areas it can be tiring and play on your mind (wind blowing etc) there are plenty of great hairstyles out there rocked by gents with far more hair loss than you - E.g. Henry Cavill.