Unusual early growth

I had a small procedure 5 weeks ago, and for the last two weeks I'm seeing large-diameter hairs erupting where some of the grafts shed around week 2-3. It's unexpected because they're coming back so fast and they're already dark and large-diameter. See pic below. These little "stubble" hairs were not there 2 weeks ago. Has anyone else seen this before? 

IMG_3270.thumb.jpeg.a50988f79314fd0e810c49cf8eb744d8.jpeg

Edited by Philo Columbus
  • Like 1

It is difficult to tell just from the photo you posted. For what it's worth, this is good news and it does look promising.

One is supposed to shed between weeks 2-8, but at the same time some growth may happen. Each individual has a different response and growth patterns, whereas some individuals experience less shedding and some others experience shock loss, shedding and late growth. It does not matter too much if you are an early grower or not, but it if you are anxious about the result, early signs of grow may alleviate your anxiety.

If anything, your situation looks promising, normal and for some totally expected, for others early growth. You will be able to tell in a month or two from now, but it won't matter much at that point, I don't think.

@Philo Columbus

I agree that it’s difficult to tell exactly what’s going on from the photo you presented. However, I also agree that it looks promising and it’s also good news. While it may very well be substantially early growth, as the expression goes… don’t look a gift horse in the mouth 🙂.

Perhaps you’ll be one of the lucky ones and all of your hair will begin the growth process earlier and you’ll see your results more quickly. But at the end of the day, you should assume that it’s gonna take a good 12 to 18 months to see the final result.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.