My 20s hair loss story right now

ziofla

Hello everyone, 

I am Flavio from Italy and this is my first post since I just signed in. I must say that I luckily came here by googling for some forum with other people who r facing with my same problem. I began losing hair about two years ago when I was 20, and it started from one day to another, after a very traumatizing stuff happened. In the next months, I went through other problems that led me to loss weight and getting daily medications, meanwhile my hair was significantly getting worse and this put me down. Therefore, my first dermatology visit came and the doctor told me I was losing hair indeed, and he suggested some sort of therapy with nourishing syringe for stopping the fall. I don’t know if it really made any difference. I stopped after 4-5 sessions because it was about 100€ each time, I didn’t have money for something I was barely assuming was working. Since then, one year and a half has passed, and my hair didn’t get super worse, yet I constantly feel insecure for so many reasons... but being able to see through my hair doesn’t motivate me in other scope (sport/university/friends/relationships).

Sometimes I found myself reading some reviews of clinics, or watching YouTube videos about this topic, but chatting with you guys directly would really support me for some sides :)

I look forward for suggestions about handling emotions of this kind, or just for someone willing to teach me about the various procedures that could be taken.

Your personal experience would be beautiful to read as well, thank you for your time.

Flavio.

• Like 2

You might want to talk to your own Dr about starting Fin/Minox to help you retain your hair. Your very young to be losing hair. Is it Male Pattern Baldness that’s happening ? Did your dermatologist not mention about Fin & Minox ? Would you be able to share some pics of your current situation ? Grazie 🙏

• Like 1

By nourishing syringe, do you mean PRP injections? (where they take your blood, separate the plasma and inject into your scalp)

To be honest, unless it was a select few medications that you took for a while, I doubt they're the culprit, and it's most probably just MPB.

if this is the case, the only real way to stop it is via 5ar inhibition, aka finasteride.

• Like 1

Hey! Thank you for the answers, sorry for the vagueness about the therapy: it was some sort of vitamin supplements applied directly under the scalp in thinned out zones, they prescribed to me a medication to prevent the hair loss that was actually a drug for prostate (I noticed so, but they said that some tests showed it helped with my problem as well), after several months I was keeping assuming it I had to stop under my general practitioner’s suggestion.

keep in mind that the “daily medications” I was referring to in my post were xanax and another for depression and bipolar disorders, I said so because I heard they could lead to hair loss as well.

I will attach some photos, on the back what you see the dermatologist said it is a cowlick (I don’t know if this is the right expression, what I mean is that it’s my natural hair set) 

E4A26D7B-5E75-4ED3-A8B6-88BDE7F61DE2.jpeg

A64C64CA-FD83-483D-A4E1-DCDFB7B4A67B.jpeg

24CDB709-10BE-4D00-86CD-CC50095AC876.jpeg

E3930C18-34A8-4185-99D5-85019B3D9E8D.jpeg

6FE2208E-EF55-4BCC-A848-D33E95FD6BFA.jpeg

Your situation doesn't look too bad at all, maybe just go and get confirmation that this is a result of MPB (see a trichologist or a reputable HT doc) and get on Fin if so, your hair will be saved for a very very long time, will probably improve somewhat and you'll not need a transplant for a long time, perhaps ever. Maybe you could add some Minoxidil orally at a low dose or just old fashioned topical if you really wanted some thickening/regrowth. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

Your situation doesn't look too bad at all, maybe just go and get confirmation that this is a result of MPB (see a trichologist or a reputable HT doc) and get on Fin if so, your hair will be saved for a very very long time, will probably improve somewhat and you'll not need a transplant for a long time, perhaps ever. Maybe you could add some Minoxidil orally at a low dose or just old fashioned topical if you really wanted some thickening/regrowth. 

Wow thanks, this cheers me up a lot; if It doesn’t bother you, may I ask the meaning of “MPB” “Fin” and “old fashioned topical”, please?

I’ll definitely see a trichologist, but I’d like going there well prepared so that I won’t get deceived.

Go to someone that can properly guide you and will prescribe you finasteride/ minoxidil but before, and since you are young, do some hormonal exams to check if all is good. 

Your situation with the above medicine and at this age should be reversible. 

Edited by Kharmacoma

6 hours ago, ziofla said:

Wow thanks, this cheers me up a lot; if It doesn’t bother you, may I ask the meaning of “MPB” “Fin” and “old fashioned topical”, please?

I’ll definitely see a trichologist, but I’d like going there well prepared so that I won’t get deceived.

Sorry, my bad. MPB is male pattern baldness, so I was saying go and get checked to confirm this is a case of 'MPB' AKA genetic hair-loss (and not anything to do with your bi-polar meds etc).

Fin is Finasteride, a medication that prevents further loss and has a very high chance of stopping things from getting any worse. Really, this is the only approved drug out there that tackles the root of the problem (androgen sensitivity in the hair follicle, particularly DHT) and without it you will continue down on whatever path of hair-loss that you are pre-disposed to genetically. 

In English, 'good old' is just an expression for something that has been around a long time/is reliable and so on. People are starting to use oral minoxidil more and more as it is more effective overall, but it has a higher potential for side effects etc, so I was saying you could just use topical minoxidil if you wanted to do it the usual way.

Edited by JDEE0