Upcoming surgery - Advise wanted

afrz

Hello guys! 

Long term lurker here, I had my first transplant around 2 years back. Unfortunately I had not done my research well and it turned out to be quite disappointing, My hair ended up being a lot worse than how it was due to shock loss and stopping the medication I was on.. 

I have now decided to fix it later during the year with one of the recommended clinics here, however I have two points which I am still unsure of

1) My day job involves a lot of meetings, I have to be presentable and will only have 3 weeks to get back post surgery. Is it worthwhile getting an unshaven FUE? I’ve heard it can be complicated and time taking and often can tamper with the final results.. from my last surgery it took almost 6 months for me to look presentable, ugly duckling phase lasted for quite a long time.. 

2) The surgeon recommended I use finasteride but unfortunately I had some sides after 2 months, tried to stop for a while and lowered the dose but the came back again. Had blood tests done and turns out my T levels are quite low already, was not recommended to use it. 

based on these two going into a transplant without shaving my head and not using finasteride.. does anyone have suggestions on what I should do?

Can you use topical finasteride? You can definitely get an unshaven FUE, but it will be a lot more difficult and demanding and consequently more expensive than shaven FUE.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

On 8/26/2021 at 1:19 AM, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Can you use topical finasteride? You can definitely get an unshaven FUE, but it will be a lot more difficult and demanding and consequently more expensive than shaven FUE.

The second time I gave it a go with MorF, minoxidil and finasteride.. unfortunately they occurred again.. my assumption it is not completely based on the medication but also have had a major lifestyle change due to work from home.. less exercise, outdoor time and eating habits haven’t been the best.. might give it a go later once things are better