Anagen synchronization? Dr Bisanga patient

I have a lot of  thick hair(33y) but had a norwood 2.5 hairline so I've been on finasteride since I was in my early 20's, and had  a HT  to close the hairline corners and front over four years ago for around 1300 grafts with Dr Bisanga. 

The guy is a class act, his team was terrific and everything went excellent ,I've been very happy with the results ; 
The problem is that literally a year ago in july 2020 I had a sudden hair fall of  ONLY TRANSPLANTED hairs out of the blue within a few days on the following occasions:

1- On July  2020 of one section of the  right corner hairline hair fell
2-On August some transplanted hairs of the left center  hairline fell
3-On September the middle of the right hairline thinned
4-On Christmas the high left corner of the hairline fell completely
5-Early March 2021 within a few days areas of the entire right side of the hairline (which looked perfectly full and recovered already)thinned out overall 
6-Barely a week ago, June 2021 the transplanted hairs on the low corner and middle of the left side has fallen dramatically

The hair grows back without an issue, in all areas. 

I was specific to mention the areas of hair fall, because it seems that different sections fell at different times and regrew , but I don't think the exact section went through the sudden loss of hair twice so far, although I'm not 100% positive, but the loss it is always very noticeable as I am very aware of the hair

What the hell is this?

I'm thinking that perhaps the reason of this is that  hair cycle of all the transplanted hairs  is reset to a similar timing once they are transplanted, and now 4 years or so later of anagen phase, they all go into the telogen, exogen phase within a very close time window of each other and hence what I am experiencing

Any input would be appreciated it, specially from the Bisanga team, as it's been a year already with unstable hair going through ugly duckling stages in different sections of the transplanted area and it's very unnerving

Thank You

Thank you for posting and for your kind words and very happy to hear that you had a positive experience and good growth from your surgery.

Hair fall and regrowth is a physiological aspect based upon the active and dorment phases that the hair cycle will present at various times and can be influenced by diet, stress, hormones, medication and climate to name a few. 

From what you are describing, it is a more rare phenomenon that seems to be more locally to the transplanted hair and although less common is not unknown for the transplanted areas to cycle differently, fall and come back. Essentially as said, it is not something that is directly controllable assuming that there is no change in meds of any other environment that will effect hair cycles. 

I can imagine it causes anxiety to see hair fall and then come back but the transplanted part is safe and will in all probability not cause any long term issues while going through this stage.

Feel free to contact whomever your advisor was with us, and they would be happy to further liaise with Dr. Bisanga regarding this and to take look at any photos and further details.

Thank you.
  • Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.