Should I still ask my dermatologist for a prescription for finasteride? (Really low vitamin D)

Dave5432

Went to my dermatologist a few weeks ago and she told me I’m starting to thin at the crown and a little bit up top although not noticeable really to the normal eye, also experienced a lot of hair loss in the shower the past couple months which also stresses me out. She sent me for blood work and my vitamin D came back really low (8ng/ml). Now I’m not sure whether I should just go with just a vitamin d regimen or still ask for a finasteride prescription. Thank! FYI all pics taken today under slightly different lighting

652395FF-821A-4502-9754-9E50DD7A667F.jpeg

39AEC3A8-31BC-476E-BBA1-84D19668FA42.jpeg

E7E9B170-D196-43E4-BD79-26D452ADCB47.jpeg

Edited by Dave5432

Did you ask your doctor if low vitamin d levels could cause hair loss? Also, does baldness run in your family?

I always assumed low vitamin levels or other deficiencies would result in diffuse hair loss. If yours only concentrated in the crown?

Yeah both of my moms brothers are bald so was her dad. My dad still has pretty decent amount of hair left and so does his brother and his dad. But the more I look at my scalp the more I realize it’s diffuse all over. Can’t really tell though with the sides and back because I get a skin fade every three weeks.