GYM/2 DAYS PRE-OP

Hello There,

I'm getting my HT in 2 days and just wondering if anybody has any advise for me.

I'm getting 2000 Grafts at Dr. Mckenzies office in Toronto at the Seager Hair Transplant office.

I just had a few questions:

-How soon can i go back to the gym?

-Do they have to shave my head or front of the head?

-How noticable is the HT after 2 weeks?

-What are some ways to cover HT?

-I noticed some people took Rogane after their sugery?? Does this apply to all patients??

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if anybody has any advise or tips, please let me know. I'm a little nervous about the surgery and would love to hear people's opinions on the above questions.

Regards,

NishNash

I recommend to wait at least one month after you get your sutures out before lifting any weights. This may be overly cautious but a HT is a big investment so I wouldn't risk it.

I actually went back to the gym a couple weeks after one procedure and I always wondered if my scar stretched due to my lifting weights too soon. My most recent procedure I waited a month before returning to the gym and the results were much better.

If you go back to the gym earlier, just take it easy and don't go too hard.

This is usually based on your doctor's preference. I was shaved for one procedure but not shaved for two other procedures. My procedures were done by 3 different doctors so it really depends on the doctor.

It really depends on where the transplanted hairs are going and how well you heal. It's likely that you will have redness in the transplanted region so if your native hair doesn't cover this area it will be noticable.

If your hair is long enough in the back, it should cover the donor scar.

The most popular way to cover the HT is by using a product called Toppik. It's kind of like colored hair fibers that you sprinkle on your head. It helps blend the transplanted area with your original hair.

-I noticed some people took Rogane after their sugery?? Does this apply to all patients??

You should ask your doctor what he recommends. I've never had a doctor recommend Rogaine but I think it's based on your situation.

I would not risk it before at least a month, cardio is fine though after 2 weeks. The point is not to put strain on the scar. Some exercises like squat, crunch, shoulder shrug should be avoid for maybe an even longer period.

Some clinics require shaving, others don't. Ask your doctor.

If you shave, it is noticeable for around 2 months. If you don't shave, maybe 10 days, when the scabs are gone. In my case, it is not noticeable by day 3, and all traces of HT are gone by day 6. Maybe it is the skill of the doctor, maybe i was lucky, maybe because of PRP.

Toppik is a good way, but i would not put on the recipient site until it is healed, meaning when the scabs are gone.

I don't believe in Rogaine whether before or after surgery. It is messy, it is pricey and its effectiveness is quite debatable. Propecia seems to work though for quite a few of people. Me too, i have never had doctor recommend me Rogaine.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Thanks for all the help guys.

Just had my HT 4 days ago, and feeling pretty good and positive about it. Not really sure what to expect from this, but just trying to stay positive in everyway and i'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Thank you on your advise about the gym. Just to be safe, i will take your advise and wait it out for a month or so.

Anyways, thank you for all your support/advise. This site is great and should be promoted at all HT Centers.

REgards,

NisHNash

nishnash:

congratulation and good luck with growth. Please share with us some pictures in the weblog, it will certainly help future patients.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley