Dealing with Donor and Recipient Area Itchiness

For those of you who've been through hair transplant surgery, you probably can relate when I say "I can't WAIT to get these staples out of my head".

At 12 days post-op, my scalp is now fully aware that it's been stapled. Every now and then I feel a pinch that makes my head tilt, and even makes my mouth utter the occasional "ow". These things are highly bearable however, compared to the itchiness and irritation around the scar.

However, Nioxin scalp therapy (conditioner) has become my new best friend and savior from itch and irritation, followed by Aloe Vera. Using Nioxin on the donor area only is a trick I learned from the last procedure. A few of the ingredients give that cooling/icing effect and feels really good on the scalp. Usually I leave it on for 5 minutes until I feel it's soothing effect and then I wash it off. Since itchiness usually comes back in the evening, I'll sometimes shower a second time.

I just realized that this sounds like an ad for Nioxin, and I really don't intend it to be. But it is something that makes dealing with the staples just a little easier.

The point of this thread however, is to give members an opportunity to share what has worked for them to combat donor and recipient itchiness after a hair transplant.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Bill

For those of you who've been through hair transplant surgery, you probably can relate when I say "I can't WAIT to get these staples out of my head".

At 12 days post-op, my scalp is now fully aware that it's been stapled. Every now and then I feel a pinch that makes my head tilt, and even makes my mouth utter the occasional "ow". These things are highly bearable however, compared to the itchiness and irritation around the scar.

However, Nioxin scalp therapy (conditioner) has become my new best friend and savior from itch and irritation, followed by Aloe Vera. Using Nioxin on the donor area only is a trick I learned from the last procedure. A few of the ingredients give that cooling/icing effect and feels really good on the scalp. Usually I leave it on for 5 minutes until I feel it's soothing effect and then I wash it off. Since itchiness usually comes back in the evening, I'll sometimes shower a second time.

I just realized that this sounds like an ad for Nioxin, and I really don't intend it to be. But it is something that makes dealing with the staples just a little easier.

The point of this thread however, is to give members an opportunity to share what has worked for them to combat donor and recipient itchiness after a hair transplant.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Bill