This could affect you and not in a good way

I would like to know if there is any reason I should stay on finasteride and minoxidil since I'm beginning to feel negative sexual side effects from them. Hopefully a doctor could chime in on this. I was a NW 5 with a strip of native hair across the top of my head and the rest was bald before my hair transplant. I will be 49 in three months so my balding pattern is well established. The hair transplanted is genetically immune to the effects of DHT and will not fall out so is there any purpose for me using these drugs with the side effects they have if the transplanted hair isn't going to fall out without these drugs anyway? My understanding is we need DHT for erections, libido and other things. To reduce DHT to a low level upsets the balance causing sexual dysfunction in some of us. If you'd like to know more and find out some interesting information many probably aren't aware of concerning finasteride and minoxidil please see my post under the 'Hair Loss Drugs' category titled 'Read This if You Use or Might Use Finasteride or Minoxidil'

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS,

I'll leave this topic in this section of the forum for now since I know you're afraid you won't get responses in the "Hair Loss Drugs" section. However, I will be moving this thread there in a day or two since it's more relevant there as well.

On the Propecia website, it states that side effects while using Propecia sometimes go away with continued use. However, it's ultimately up to you whether or not to continue using these treatments. You could consider cutting back on dosage to see if this helps solve your problem. While the treatment may not be as effective, the reduction or elimination of the side effects may be worth it.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your answer and for leaving the post there for a couple of days. I know this ultimately has to be a personal decision but I wanted opinions from others including maybe a doctor. I felt it could be helpful to hear other's perspectives on this and see what other guys have gone through since I'm new to this. Maybe someone would bring something to my attention that I'm not aware of or maybe a doctor could point out something I've said that isn't accurate. Part of me wants to stay on it but part of me is scared from the side effects I've started to feel and information I've read on the internet about the drug. I know that supposedly the side effects eventually go away but I've also read that they never do even after stopping the drug. Are you on it and if so what has been your experience?

On an unrelated note, I wasn't trying to get around having my last post moved to the 'Hair Loss Drugs' category by posting this similar question in the 'Hair Restoration Questions and Answers' category. I thought maybe my original question was too technical with too much information with the question not the predominate part of the post, so I extracted just the question and put it in the question and answer section. I also went into the 'Creating New Threads in the Right Forum' section but I didn't see any specific guidelines concerning what could and could not be put into certain categories. I'm not trying to be difficult just trying to figure the process out so I don't make the same mistake again. I guess I should ask what type of question is acceptable for the question and answer category and what is not because this is a question which I'm trying to obtain answers for. Thanks

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts