13 Months - Dr. Gabel 1,303 FUT

OtherSyde

Hello again!

So I'm about 13 months in from my third HT with Dr. Gabel in Oregon.

Everything is looking like it's supposed to, although it's obvious to me that my hairline area on either side of my widow's peak (the new area) will need a little thickening (to be clear, I expected this from the beginning - I'm aware that hairlines almost always need a second pass to look dense enough). Additionally, after chopping three whole big slices out of my donor area my scar is too big to hide even when leaving my hair at a generous 5-guard shave as seen in the pics - so I'll be getting a scar revision to reduce it down to a super-slim scar like it was the first time I got it. I should emphasize that this isn't due to a sub-par suture job or anything - it's just because during subsequent donor strip extractions, the entirety of the previous incision's scar tissue wasn't able to be removed while also removing sufficient grafts, so maybe 20% to 30% of the previous scar tissue was left each time, gradually increasing the scar size each time. With a scar revision, the sole purpose will be to remove all of the previous scar tissue while removing no grafts for transplantation, thus greatly reducing the scar width. I knew all of this going into my third procedure so I'm not complaining :) The final part of the erasure (granted, yes, technically the illusion of erasure) of my scar will be some high-quality SMP to further camouflage it about a year after the scar reduction.

Finally, although I love where my hairline is now in regards to my temple points (it doesn't swoop waaay back in a "receding" fashion leaving big bald temple areas anymore), the new hairs there are a bit darker than the hairs behind them towards my ears, thus making a sort of noticeably-darker line of hair down either side of my head on the far left/right sides of my forehead - this is most starkly visible only up-close and under bright lights, as in the final attached picture. So, we'll have to work something there - I'm thinking of maybe speckling some intermittent darker hairs along behind the line of new dark hairs to sort of blend it back into the the hairs behind, in a sort of salt-and-pepper look on the sides.

What do you think?

JAN2018-Front.jpg.b2d53627971a7320e9ac58d18bf8a5c7.jpg

JAN2018-LeftSide.thumb.jpg.6e762af5789c3fce98b36cbf8abdd84c.jpg

JAN2018-RightSide.thumb.jpg.e19ee449df6c706e56e6d2f986f69721.jpg

JAN2018-Scar.thumb.jpg.b39b00c51bc88adb02683df4f1328474.jpg

JAN2018-.thumb.jpg.acdb0c81572fae880f858c3b3f19e8cc.jpg

Edited by OtherSyde

Looking fantastic man!

I think you've gotten closer to the point where there isn't really left to be done, except the small details you mentioned. I don't really see it but I guess we aim for perfection.

One of my only issues now is greying and the fact that the transplants are thick and dark. So I've had to lightly dye some of my native hair to make it blend in, but it's kind of an annoyance I don't mind so much

I could see myself having some grafts done as you mentioned to make the contrast between the color of native hair and transplanted less obvious, but that is a very low priority for me right now.

Have you thought about some light dyeing instead of more grafts?

Also the only thing I recommend SMP for is for helping to hide FUT scars, have you looked into possibly getting some SMP into your scar instead of the scar revision option? I had it done and it has worked wonders in helping me cut my hair in the back much shorter. I had it done at HIS a few years ago.

Again congrats on your journey which seems nearly complete and for sharing it here.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Looking fantastic man!

I think you've gotten closer to the point where there isn't really left to be done, except the small details you mentioned. I don't really see it but I guess we aim for perfection.

One of my only issues now is greying and the fact that the transplants are thick and dark. So I've had to lightly dye some of my native hair to make it blend in, but it's kind of an annoyance I don't mind so much

I could see myself having some grafts done as you mentioned to make the contrast between the color of native hair and transplanted less obvious, but that is a very low priority for me right now.

Have you thought about some light dyeing instead of more grafts?

Also the only thing I recommend SMP for is for helping to hide FUT scars, have you looked into possibly getting some SMP into your scar instead of the scar revision option? I had it done and it has worked wonders in helping me cut my hair in the back much shorter. I had it done at HIS a few years ago.

Again congrats on your journey which seems nearly complete and for sharing it here.

Thanks!

Since I won't likely be able to get any more work done before I deploy out into the ocean for another 7 months or so starting in either May or June, some use of dye might be a thing for me to look at... Do you use Just For Men, or something else?

Do you think my scar isn't too wide for SMP to hide? I just figured it was too big/wide to hide at this point. I'm really interested in this procedure now that it's matured in technology/methodology and gained traction in the market (i.e. - the artists are better, and also they're using actual pigmentation instead of crappy tattoo ink that fades and changes color over time, along with other various innovations), and there's a local place about 1.5 hours north of me in L.A. that looks very promising - so it could be an option, at least for resolving the scar issue. Do you have any close-up/detailed pics of yours pre- and post-SMP?