Bathing grafts in PRP and HT yields

From posting on Dr. Greco's website

Joseph Greco, PhD, PA/C, Summit Hair Restoration

David M Wall, MD, Summit Hair Restoration

Robert J. Brandt, President, Blood Recovery Systems

The primary use for platelet rich plasma (PRP) in hair restoration surgery first reported by Carlos Uebel, MD in 2005, demonstrated an increase yield and increased density, when utilized as a graft storage medium. When bathed in activated PRP the growth factors attach to the stem cells in the bulge area of the dissected follicular unit thus increasing follicular yield of newly transplanted follicles by 20%.

20%!!! improvement in yield !!! Now does that mean that yield without bathing grafts in PRP is typically under 80% ???? I've always read its already in the high 90's for most cases.

If yield is indeed improved by that much then simply bathing grafts in patient's PRP prior to transplantation vs Ringer solution should be a no brainer and adopted by the industry at large as the new standard. What am I missing here?

The primary use for platelet rich plasma (PRP) in hair restoration surgery first reported by Carlos Uebel, MD in 2005, demonstrated an increase yield and increased density, when utilized as a graft storage medium. When bathed in activated PRP the growth factors attach to the stem cells in the bulge area of the dissected follicular unit thus increasing follicular yield of newly transplanted follicles by 20%.

20%!!! improvement in yield !!! Now does that mean that yield without bathing grafts in PRP is typically under 80% ???? I've always read its already in the high 90's for most cases.

If yield is indeed improved by that much then simply bathing grafts in patient's PRP prior to transplantation vs Ringer solution should be a no brainer and adopted by the industry at large as the new standard. What am I missing here?

First off - we have a saying in clinical research:

"In God We Trust, All Others Must Bring Data" - another words - a statement of results is not sufficient proof, there are way too many factors involved, this is a within subject issue, since you can't compare between subjects due to all the potential confounders. I am unfamiliar with their study, however I doubt they conducted a repeated HT study. Either way, I'm not convinced.

Secondly, 20% does not mean a traditional yield of 80%. Do you realize that if you go from 1 to 2 hairs that is a 100% increase?

Originally posted by miked:

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

"Secondly, 20% does not mean a traditional yield of 80%. Do you realize that if you go from 1 to 2 hairs that is a 100% increase?"

yes but a 90% yield cannot be improved by 20% thus why I indicated that this implied that yields without bathing in PRP were in the 80ish percentile (which can in theory be improved by 20% without resulting in magic grafts).