Did you take Propecia for/with a Hair Transplant?

Michael8

Hi,

I am 34 and I stopped taking Propecia (Finasteride) in my late 20's because I thought I would just let me hair loss take its course and once it got bad I would get a Hair Transplant.

I am now being informed that I need to get back on Propecia if I want a HT.

I thought the point of a HT was that the hairs we are using are hair that is not effected by DHT.

I never felt any side effects while on Propecia but the thought of being on medication that will mess with your hormones does not sound appealing as I age. When i was younger I was more willing to put anything in my body but now I am more cautious as I want to live a long and healthy life.

I want to ask all the members of this site,

Did your physician ask you to go on Propecia for a Hair Transplant?

What are your thoughts on Propecia for a HT?

Any other thoughts or feedback are welcomed.

Thank you,

Michael

I am admittedly struggling with this topic. My doctor strongly advised Propecia. I was adamant about not taking it, but after undergoing the HT and studying more, I am weighing the option. I started Propecia about a week ago, albeit at a much smaller dosage. Many take no more than 0.25mg every other day, or occasionally even less.

In any case, to address your question, it's not necessary but strongly encouraged. As my doctor put it, it only has to be taken until the next scientific advance comes. In my mind, hopefully, that is stem cells allowing for unlimited hair follicles. I am 34, so my hope to make my hair a non-issue, without minoxidil or finasteride, was my hope. Now I'm shifting to "preservation" until hopefully I can get to that point. I'm protecting my donor hair the best I can.

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)