Propecia - how long to give it?

gm68

Hi All,

New member here.

I started a discussion here a couple of months ago after 7 months on propecia/proscar. In short I had major shedding for the first 3 months or so followed by a noticeable stabilisation of my situation. 2 months after starting the thread above not much has changed, my situ has been stable for 5 months or so now, but it has stabilised in a pretty poor state. I was already very thin in the crown, but the propecia seems to have caused most shedding in the front section. Nanogen is now my best friend.

So I'm wondering how long to give it before taking the big step into HTs. I'm in two minds. Part of me says give the meds the full 12 months before making any decisions, period. Another part says that it's now unlikely that the propecia will provide an acceptable solution by itself and I will end up going down the HT route to some extent or another, and if I get my slot booked I could be well down the recovery/regrowth route by this time next year (whereas delaying a decision will probably add a year to this).

For now the former part is winning.

Any thoughts (my full story is in the link above).

Thanks

Gav.

gm68,

It's good to see that you're looking for as many answers as possible before proceeding with hair transplant surgery.

It's recommended to take Propecia a full year to see how it helps you. This recommendation has nothing to do with hair transplant surgery, but is a recommendation by the drug company itself. That said, if you can wait a full year to see if Propecia improves your hair before proceeding, in my opinion, it would be in your best interest.

I'm sure however, you're like me and want to begin something you know will restore a lot more hair than you already have. Patience is hard when it comes to hair restoration. But if you can hang in there, you're doing well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the encouragement Bill icon_smile.gif

I think the consensus is that I should wait at least the full 12 months, so that's what I will do. I'll post back then, or earlier if any fantastic results become apparent icon_rolleyes.gif

Best regards

Gav.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

gm68,

It's recommended to take Propecia a full year to see how it helps you. This recommendation has nothing to do with hair transplant surgery, but is a recommendation by the drug company itself. That said, if you can wait a full year to see if Propecia improves your hair before proceeding, in my opinion, it would be in your best interest.

Thanks. I was wondering if hair got thinker and fuller after 12 months do you stop or keep taking propecia?