Thinking of SMP? Some advice/personal experience

yzuk

I saw this thread and had some thoughts: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185892-mens-ink-smp-shaved-effect-nw-6-a.html

This is what SMP should look like in my opinion. Keep it simple and you'll get realistic results. I had SMP carried out and I regretted it. I would have rather saved the money for longer and gotten an FUE transplant. Each to their own I guess.

I said this is what SMP should look like because when I got mine done in Harley Street, I was insistent that I wanted the naturally shaved look, which does not have a ridiculously defined hairline; however, after the procedure and healing (I was told to wait a couple of weeks before judging) the end result was not as I expected. The hairline was way too sharp. I was told the hairline could be lowered adding a feathered look to it but I didn't want an even lower hairline. When you lose confidence in the practitioner you don't want them messing with your head any further. The sharp defined look is only really carried off properly with a certain amount of actual hair growth.

I had mine removed actually (removed is not the right word because I've yet to see someone who has actually gone back to exactly how they were before SMP) because the hairline was too defined and not like the picture above. I'm not sure if there was any adverse effect from laser removal on existing hair that may affect how successful an FUE procedure would be if I get one done in the future (there are some reports - but not enough solid data I guess - that say there is some harm done to existing hair).

My advice to anyone considering SMP

1) MAKE IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR what kind of hairline you want. If you're going to go down the SMP route I'd advise the shaved look with a feathered or scattered hairline NOT a sharp defined hairline that I've seen people go for. Again, each to their own. If sharp is what you want, go for it.

2) Look at bumps, raises or a certain bone structure on your head. SMP is not real hair so any natural protrusions won't be covered up - in fact it may look like your hairline starts in one place but during conversations or natural head movements that cause the shape of your head to change, it may look like you have two hairlines - one defined by SMP and the other due your bump or protrusion. I don't know if that makes sense but I'm sure some people will know what I'm talking about. Define your hairline close to or around any visible bone structure/protrusion if possible.

3) Although the ink isn't injected as deep as a regular tattoo, there are still some unanswered questions/concerns about SMP. Nothing sinister that I've heard but some people may wish to look into it. Doctors that I've asked said they don't have enough data at the moment to comment.

4) Shiny heads - it DOES look odd at times if you have a "full head of hair" look (albeit shaved) but you're one of those people (like me) who's head starts shining even by looking at a spicy curry let alone even eating it, you'll get a shine "on top" of your "hair". You can use anti-chafing gels (powder gels) which are very good at reducing shine and work quite well and they do help. Just watch out if you're a shine head. Electric shavers are much better than a wet shave I find.

5) As I've said already, don't think you can just get it removed and all will be well again if you're not happy - other than the fact that laser removal is painful and you'll feel like you've had your head in a microwave for an hour, along with the throbbing and pain that brings, your scalp area that had SMP may change colour compared to the rest of your face/head. In my case it became a shade darker. The (sharp) hairline created by SMP was still distinguishable from a distance but if you got close you can see there's no hair/ink there. Unless I shave my head daily it can look odd as my natural hair around the side grows but the shade where SMP used to be can be seen. After laser removal some small dots/patches can still remain. I wasn't going to go back and have my head cooked any further.

6) Maintenance. Use an electric shaver. Also you may find you can't let your real hair grow for more than a day. Everyone is different. Some people will need to shave daily, others can let their hair grow for a couple of days. With this is mind, along with the need for anti-shine creams for some people, this will need to be a routine you'll need to get used to.

The above are a few points. SMP is not for everyone. It can be a really good look for some people especially when planned carried out properly. It's not just a matter of putting dots on your head. Done right it can make you look ten years younger, but done wrong, it will make you even MORE self-conscious and look like you're wearing some sort skull cap.

If I could go back, I'd stick to my natural thinning hair and not worry about maintenance. I would have saved for an FUE procedure. That's just my opinion, everyone's story is different.

Hi headaball. Interestingly enough when I was getting my second session done there was a guy who was getting SMP done because he had a patch of alopecia and an FUT scar he wanted to get covered up. He decided to go for the shaved close look (0.5-1mm) and have the FUT and alopecia patch covered up with SMP.

I can't really say how it would look without looking at your situation but you'd need to be aware that SMP only really looks good for a shaved look so you'd need to shave your head to at least 0.5 mm or so. SMP has been used along with hair transplant procedures to give the illusion of density but that's probably left to someone with more knowledge on this.

If you're saying can you cover up an FUT scar where that part of the head is shaved close anyway (for example you have long hair on top but shave the back and sides short - where the scar happens to be) then it may work as it would "blend in" with the rest of the shaved hair. Try and find people who've had SMP done for this purpose and look at their results.

I keep it with a bit of length and the scar is coverd mostly. I'd much rather have it shorter than it is. When I got the FUT done 10/11 years ago I was told that the scar would be a fine line!!! It is very wide. I have 2 scars and still have plenty of donor hair but I don't want to waste putting grafts in the scar as it is wide. I was thinking about revision and then either Smp or Fue into the scar then. I will try get photos and put them up when I get the chance.

Depends on the look you're going for. I would go for FUE if possible but you'll need to speak to someone with experience. Funny thing this hair loss business eh.. I have enough hair on my chest to make a fur coat but my poor noggin suffers so...!

I think some of the examples of temp SMP on here are really decent. Like you say having a soft, natural hairline is everything.

I would love to know more about FUE/SMP compo work but info on the internet seems limited at best.