Dilemma! - Finasteride 2.5 mg to 1.25 mg

palma13

I am considering dialing down the dose to 1.25 mg for 2 reasons:

1. The effectiveness of Finasteride at higher doses isn't that much better than at lower doses.

2. Prevent possible mental health side effects and/or sexual side effects in the future...I have been looking more into this recently.

A little more context:

I initially started on 1.25 mg (Proscar cut into quarters). I wasn't really seeing much slowing in shedding and losing ground. Although this was probably only 1 year in and also went through multiple sheds because I went on and off at least twice. So, then I spoke to my HT doc (only went for consultation not an HT yet) and he suggested we try to up the dose to 2.5 mg. But, I read recently that you don't see benefits until at least 2 years? So maybe I gave up on the 1.25 mg dose a little too soon. Anyways on the 2.5 mg dose, after a little while, it seems like my hair loss was slowed down. I have been on this dose for 2 years and it has slowed down my hair loss and now seems stable. Thankfully, I haven't experienced any of the sexual side effects, but I might be experiencing anxiety and depression as a result of Finasteride...well I also have had a lot of changes in my life over the last year. Changing careers etc so I have other reasons for my mental health not being in the best shape.

Of course only reason I am asking this question is because I don't want to start losing again...can I try the 1.25 mg dose for say 1-2 months and if I can hold steady I guess I am good?

Your help is greatly appreciated.