2 Questions

Hi folks, great site. Good luck to US!

I'm giving some pretty serious consideration to a transplant, and I'm curious about a couple of things based on my situation.

My career keeps me in front of a lot of people (from executives to employees to groups) and some of the HT photos I've seen have me concerned about the first three or four weeks after the procedure. So:

1. I keep my hair (what there is of it) fairly short on top, but is it required that the top is shaved for surgery?

2. I'd have the procedure done on a Thursday or Friday, then take the next week off. Is it possible that would be enough time so that I don't have much redness/scarring/scabbing when I return to work?

If the answer to one or both of the above questions is "yes", I'm not sure what I would do.

Thanks folks, I look forward to your input!

Shaving depends on the doctor---some do and some don't. May also depend on the extent of the HT.

I would say no to number 2. I am going back after three weeks and could easily use another week. Amount of time also depends on the extent of the procedure and how quickly you heal.

You may want to do a search on the topic.

Hey Mac1958,

It seems shaving depends on the doctor's preference, you could choose a Doctor who does not shave or insist the area is not shaved (not sure what the Doctor's response will be if he usually shaves, but hey - its your money).

The redness may be gone by that time, it depends on a lot of factors and no 2 people are the same (Mine is still pink 1 month on, but not red like it was in the first week).

The Scarring will be with you for life, its just a matter of how noticable it is (It will still be very red and you will still have the stitches in at that time, so unless you have hair to hide the scar - it will definitely still be 100% noticable).

The scabbing - again, this can't be predicted but it is likely that a lot of your scabs in the receipt will be gone by that time (mine were all gone in the receipt by day 10).

Hope this helps - make sure to research alot.

1. I keep my hair (what there is of it) fairly short on top, but is it required that the top is shaved for surgery?

That really depends. You will need to ask your surgeon.

2. I'd have the procedure done on a Thursday or Friday, then take the next week off. Is it possible that would be enough time so that I don't have much redness/scarring/scabbing when I return to work?

Scabbing should be a non-issue after a week plus. Redness/pinkness will still be a challenge though. You can go back to work after a week, but you need a strategy (i.e. a hat if possible, makeup over the visible pink areas, "creative" hair styling if you have strong hair surrounding the recipient area, etc.)

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.