So I've finished my surgery and am at almost two months.

I just got promoted at work but my grandfather passed away last night.

As such, I am attending the funeral this coming Saturday and in my haste, decided to shave my head down since it's looked beyond terrible considering I only had the first 1/4 or so of my scalp done.

I had a scar from a prior surgery that wasn't bad, about 1cm or a little less on the back quarter to back half of my head. It was low as well so it looked my something had cut me, it did not look like an HT scar.

I've had my most recent surgery with Dr.Rahal and he said the scar was too low to remove. Being pretty indifferent about it, I didn't care too much since I knew he'd be using the trich method for closing it.

Well..I might just need to encouragement but I have to tell you....the scar looks f*king terrible. It goes up to my ear on one side and is easily 2 or more centimeters in diameter across the back, mostly on one side. I really look disfigured. I have a terrible camera otherwise I'd snap a shot or two. I don't have time right now but...

Dr.Rahal has said that there is probably some shock loss back there but even so...one side where the incision was done, looks how it should. The other 3/4's of the scar looks easily twice as thick and as long.

I have already scheduled a follow up appt in February to see what can be done about removing it but lemme tell ya...Im not impressed at this point in time.

Has anyone else noticed shock loss around the donor area? If so, any bad to good stories out there?

I begin a new job tomorrow with a different leadership team I've never worked with before and by shaving the hair down, that scar makes me look like Frankenstein has sewn me up back there. I really can't believe how bad it is even though I have tried to be as positive as I can about it. With the hair shaved down it really has put it in perspective.

First of all I'm really sorry about your grandfather.

I'm also sorry about your scar related stress. I wish you would consider posting pictures even with your bad camera. I looked at the pictures on your webblog and I could barely see your scar even right after surgery with sutures in there. Did you literally shave your head at 2 months post op or just clipper it real close? You did not shave the actual grafts right?

I admire your bravery with the new job and all. I wish you the best of luck with it. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather Imissme.

I'm also at the 2 month mark also and I just buzzed my hair down using a zero guard.

There are ways to camaflouge the scar. I've actually used make-up (skin color) to blend the scar more to match my skin type. My scar is still pretty red. My hair is black so I then dab my finger in the black Toppik and tap my scar with my finger which helps the scar look more buzzed.

I was actually surprised how well this worked. Even with a buzz head I couldn't tell were the scar was located.

If all else fails, wear a hat.

Thanks for the condolences guys. It kinda sucks.

I should say I clipped it down with a 1 or zero guard as well. It's just pretty short.

I just took a picture and looked at it. I'm almost embarrased to post it here. Thankfully, with a hat (again) I can cover it if I wear it really low across the back, thank goodness.

I am emailing the picture to myself and will post it here shortly. Looks like I'm butchered right now.

I will also post a before picture when my head was shaved right down prior to the surgery.

Imissme,

Take a look at my pics. I know EXACTLY what you are going through! I tried to trim my hair before those pics because it looked terrible. I messed up and ended up having to buzz down to a #1 guard. NOT pretty. I also had a funeral to go to about two weeks ago. I freaked out for the whole week prior. My transplanted hair was just little fuzzies and my donor area had a big bald spot behind my left ear. With some careful use of some Toppik and Dermatch, I somehow pulled it off. The hair had just grown long enough to help hide the scar.

All I know is that I feel your pain, bro! The donor hair is slowly coming back, but not enough to be going anywhere without a hat. There is no doubt that this is the worst part of this whole journey. However, we are getting closer to the end than the beginning.

Good luck, man.

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

ALL scars look there worst at 6-8 weeks. THUS, I encourage patients to come back at that time so that I can deal with any problems(rare), or reassure them that all is ok(usual). ((But most guys don't come to this appointment and I bet they worry more than they need to.))

But since you don't know what the scar is supposed to look like at this point it may be fine (for this time period). Get your doctor to take a quick look, (I have had guys email me pics so I can take a quick peek without having them fly back). You may find that all is ok and that bit of reassurance may really help.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

ALL scars look there worst at 6-8 weeks.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

That is why these boards can be so helpful. I had no idea that the scars had that sort of time line where they look their worse at the 6-8 week mark. Thanks for letting us know Dr Lindsey. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Sure thing. That is why it is so important to let your doc see the scar a month or so out. I try to beat this into our patients, and still, very few come in for a FREE scar check. Fortunately scar problems are rare, but I think the patient and me would both rest easier if I checked it at a month.

AND we DON'T sell any products, so this visit is not an attempt to sell patients some miracle goo to help the transplant grow. Just a scar check. So see your doc and make sure all is in order.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians